New Aksiums Poor Weld

mikelister
mikelister Posts: 13
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
I've just bought a new bike (Cannondale CAAD12) which I took for its first ride yesterday. Overall I was very satisfied except for the wheels which are Mavic Aksiums. Before I rode I checked the trueness of the wheels and they were both out of true when viewed by eye. No fancy trying machine here. The back more so than the front. Whilst a little disappointed I thought I can live with this and as a 6 week service is provided I will have them sort it then. As I was riding I noticed that the back wheel was 'knocking/thudding' under braking. On inspection I noticed the the weld on the rim isn't smooth and so it knocks against the brake pad. This I am more concerned about. Should I be asking for a replacement as this isn't really fixable and doesn't fill me with confidence. Anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    mikelister wrote:
    I've just bought a new bike (Cannondale CAAD12) which I took for its first ride yesterday. Overall I was very satisfied except for the wheels which are Mavic Aksiums. Before I rode I checked the trueness of the wheels and they were both out of true when viewed by eye. No fancy trying machine here. The back more so than the front. Whilst a little disappointed I thought I can live with this and as a 6 week service is provided I will have them sort it then. As I was riding I noticed that the back wheel was 'knocking/thudding' under braking. On inspection I noticed the the weld on the rim isn't smooth and so it knocks against the brake pad. This I am more concerned about. Should I be asking for a replacement as this isn't really fixable and doesn't fill me with confidence. Anyone else had this experience?

I would deem those to be "not fit for purpose" so contact the shop or site you bought the bike from and ask for a replacement set of wheels. If contacting a website, take pics and send them.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Yes definitely. If it feels sort of bad on the flat it will be lethal descending at speed.
  • Update - I've spoken to the bike supplier and they have stated that Mavic produced a bad batch and have offered to replace these without quibble for a new set.