Saddle and shoes

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Just done the tour de Mon (thats a trip around Anglesey if you're interested!) and my saddle and shoes were killing me. They need to go. Unfortunately there's a massive amount of choice so I'm after recommendations for a shortlist.

Saddle - I used a pro turnix with the cut out. Pain after 30 miles. Also tried a Charge Spoon and had a similar issue after 40 miles or so; swapped to the pro after ride London. What would be a list of saddles to try out?

Shoes - wear a pair of northwave extreme tech and had pain on the top of my feet after 60-70 miles. Investigated what could have been causing it and the only thing it could have been is the "bottom" part of the tongue which is quite thick and it must have been rubbing the top of my foot and hence causing the soreness. Are there any shoes that don't have such a thick tongue or some other way of securing it to the shoe? Almost a case of money no object for both a saddle and shoes but sorted they will be as the levels of discomfort made a difficult day in the saddle properly miserable!

Comments

• Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Saddle: go to your LBS and get your bum measured on the magic plastic. They then should offer a 'try before buy' saddle, or one you can buy with a guarantee if it doesn't work
  • johngti
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Saddle: go to your LBS and get your bum measured on the magic plastic. They then should offer a 'try before buy' saddle, or one you can buy with a guarantee if it doesn't work

That would be my preferred option but unfortunately my LBSs aren't geared up for that and I'd have to take a trip into central London to find one. Or Crystal Palace which is a pain to get to on limited time.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Shoes - I wouldn't worry about "Are there any shoes that don't have such a thick tongue or some other way of securing it to the shoe?" ...you've simply got some shoes there that don't feet your feet well.

If you've got Northwave for a bit more room than some try some Lakes maybe, or if even more room look for Sidi mega.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    johngti wrote:
    Or Crystal Palace which is a pain to get to on limited time.

Although it's a pain to get to, I do recommend the saddle fit service at Cadence. You can take your bike in and try all the saddles that they have for sale, if you buy one the cost of the service is taken off the price. I found it really helpful and ended up with a Selle Italia Novus Flow.
  • johngti
    Prhymeate wrote:
    johngti wrote:
    Or Crystal Palace which is a pain to get to on limited time.

Although it's a pain to get to, I do recommend the saddle fit service at Cadence. You can take your bike in and try all the saddles that they have for sale, if you buy one the cost of the service is taken off the price. I found it really helpful and ended up with a Selle Italia Novus Flow.

I had a bike fit done there a few weeks ago. May just try a couple of saddles off eBay for now and when I go back in for any adjustments to the fit, if nothing has worked in the meantime, I'll do that. Thanks for the advice!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    In my experience its unusual to get 2 problems which are both kit related. Especially as the stuff youre using seems decent kit.
    I had a major hamstring\hip injury - which kept me off the bike for years - in the end a combination of chamios cream and a brooks leather saddle (with cut out) got me riding again.
    youre not doing your straps up tight are you ? - or maybe go up a size ,
  • johngti
    kingrollo wrote:
    In my experience its unusual to get 2 problems which are both kit related. Especially as the stuff youre using seems decent kit.
    I had a major hamstring\hip injury - which kept me off the bike for years - in the end a combination of chamios cream and a brooks leather saddle (with cut out) got me riding again.

Two separate issues I think. The shoes just rub in the wrong place ((is there a right place?) but not immediately. Seems to kick in after 4-5 hours or so but they were bought off eBay so the principle of going to a shop and trying stuff on first seems sound. Definitely be buying shoes in person.

The saddle is the real issue. Just can't be right and there has to be an answer to it. How did you find the brooks saddle? Did It take long to break in?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Charge Spoon is usually a decent saddle for most people. I like mine.

I also like the fizik arione. My first ride on it was 100 miles no bother.

As to shoes - well you need to make a special trip to get some. You'll spend a fair bit of money on them and have them for years to come so its well worth taking time and effort to get it right. I have the Specialized shoes and they've lasted about 10 years now. No bother with them. You sound like you're in the South - so its hardly miles from bike shops....

Its a bit weird that your saddle and shoes are both killing you now. Surely you've done similar distance rides on them before ? Or have you leapt in distance ?
  • johngti
    Fenix wrote:

Its a bit weird that your saddle and shoes are both killing you now. Surely you've done similar distance rides on them before ? Or have you leapt in distance ?

I used the spoon on ride London and got some pain then so thought I'd try the pro. Turns out that was worse. The shoes hurt then too but I gave them the benefit of the doubt as I really like them otherwise! Normal maximum mileage is up to 60-70 miles or so so a bit of a step up but not major.

I'm putting the spoon back on this afternoon and keep an eye out for a cheap aliante to try first of all (maybe the VS version). I'm also going to stop buying shoes on eBay. Looks like the easiest shop for me to get to with a decent range of shoes in Evans in Thurrock so that can be a trip later in the week. Time to get some that fit me properly.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    johngti wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Two separate issues I think. The shoes just rub in the wrong place ((is there a right place?) but not immediately. Seems to kick in after 4-5 hours or so but they were bought off eBay so the principle of going to a shop and trying stuff on first seems sound. Definitely be buying shoes in person.

The saddle is the real issue. Just can't be right and there has to be an answer to it. How did you find the brooks saddle? Did It take long to break in?

No the Brooks didn't take long to break in. Its the B17 imperial model - that u can adjust the tension with Laces. Its looks a bit strange on a road bike. But not an issue as I can't ride anything else. Its cost £60 from Amazon. But depending on how cash rich you are, I really would give the chamy cream a go at £10 a tub.

Saddles are very personal things - but the Brooks moulding to the shape of my ass worked for me. But I know others don't get on with them - but they are very saleable should this be the case.

Don't forget you feet expand as you get warmer - so where there is room\comfort at the start - after 5 hours on manful pedalling there might not be. - But yes you need to go to a shop....
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Are you relatively new to cycling?
    What shorts are you wearing? Better quality shorts may help with saddle issues.
  • johngti
    dwanes wrote:
    Are you relatively new to cycling?
    What shorts are you wearing? Better quality shorts may help with saddle issues.

No, not new to cycling just new to 100 mile rides. Shorts on both occasions were endura fs260 pro shorts so supposedly decent and comfortable.
  • Ascot17
    Ascot17 Posts: 97
    There are plenty of guides on YouTube etc for how to self-measure your sit bones. That will give you a good idea of what width saddle to go for.

I then bought several lightly-used saddles from ebay and tried them until I found a comfortable one. The remainder were re-sold on eBay for little to no loss.

Saddle reviews/recommendations are of limited use. We are all different shapes!
  • johngti
    Ascot17 wrote:
    There are plenty of guides on YouTube etc for how to self-measure your sit bones. That will give you a good idea of what width saddle to go for.

I then bought several lightly-used saddles from ebay and tried them until I found a comfortable one. The remainder were re-sold on eBay for little to no loss.

Saddle reviews/recommendations are of limited use. We are all different shapes!

That's the plan. Watching a fizik aliante vs and a selle smp at the moment