La Velodyssee and first time touring

mr_poll
mr_poll Posts: 1,547
edited October 2016 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Has anyone done the French leg of Eurovelo1 - looking at my first touring holiday next summer and quite fancy this - heading South down the West coast of France. If anyone has done it, does anyone have a gpx the one from the official site seems to be a load of points rather than one that follows roads. Or is gpx not really needed as the signage is spot on?

Secondly anything I need to know, or can you point me the direction of a good resource for a first time tourer. Have a bike that will take panniers, planning to go light but stay at gites or cheap B&Bs on the way so not camping.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Take it you have found the website francevelotourisme.com? The route sections' maps can give you pointers on accom, bike shops, etc, and have good general info on their areas.

We did a part of Eurovelo6 in the Doubs valley last month which was well signed, and similarly well surfaced and signed Voie Verte and Voie Bleue routes in Burgundy.

Downloaded opensource cycle route data to Garmin rather than the 'official' downloads from the above website; had all of the area cycle routes included, even one section of Voie Bleue from Tournus to Chalon sur Saone which is, shall we say, a future development project. Openfietsmap.nl