Brake pads for Shimano Acera M355

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

from my recent run at cannock on sunday i think ill be changing pads after a couple more runs with that wet gritty sand.

So if i replace my pads do i go for the shimano ones or can i upgrade them?

Ive googled this but cant seem to work out what shape pads I have.

Prefer to upgrade as is cheap enough to do so some help and advice on what to upgrade to would be great.

dan

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Different pads are rarely an upgrade they are just different.

Go to Uberbike or Superstar (supplied form the same factory) and take your pick, for Cannock avoid organic as the sandy soil lunches them, Kevlar from SS or Race Matrix from uberbike would be my suggestion but you could jump to sintered.

My pads last an average of about a year, what were you doing to the poor things?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oh ok, no they are ok but i thought the sand and grit kills the pads. if im going cannock twice a week and then doing around 30k at draycote i thought they would wear down quite quick.

im just being extra prepared making sure i have everything i need but if they last a year then great stuff. just remember that i am a beginner so im probably on the brakes more and harder that experienced riders.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'd just say buy a set anyway as its always a good idea to keep some spares at home as you'll find that one time you want to go for a ride something will need changing such as brake pads and you wont have any in to change them.

From what you have said sounds like sintered or race matrix pads will be a good option for you as will last longer than the resin pads that come in shimano brakes.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Aren't the Acera brakes the ones which can't (or rather, "shouldn't" according to the manufacturer) be run with anything other than organic pads anyway as they don't have the heat dissipation of XT / Deore brakes?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)