First CX bike?

Curleyboy
Curleyboy Posts: 27
edited September 2016 in Cyclocross
Ive been looking to change from a mountain to cyclocross bike for a while. Most of my cycling involves cycle tracks and some small sections of road. With this in mind, I thought a cyclocross type bike would be an ideal bike for this type of use. I have been looking about though for a good deal. I havent made the final push as there seems to be some decent deals coming out with the arrival of the new 2017 bikes.
Whats caught my eye is the Boardman CX Team. Its available for about £700 (with BC discount) from the likes of Halfords and some others. Does anyone know if there is another make of bike that has full hydraulics etc and at least the same quality of components attatched around the same price? My local bike shops, Evans, Edinburgh Cycles,etc say they cant get anywhere near it with their current stock. Although it has a push fit bottom bracket, this can be changed via a Praxis changover kit so its not too much of an issue.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    CX Team is excellent value at that price. If you like it go for it. PF30 bottom bracket is a shame, and 1x may not be ideal for all conditions. Guard and rack mounts a bonus of you want more of a utility bike rather than a racer.
    Other option would be Cannondale CAADX Tiagra at £600. 2x10 (rather than 1x) and cable discs but a better frameset.
  • Ok. Ive still been looking and taken on board whats been said. Ive tried a couple for size and fit etc and Ive whittled my choice between bikes down. The Boardman above and a Cannondale Ultegra Caadx 2016 model at about £899. Is the price difference going to be worth it? We rang around to get the best Cannondale price as my mate is also interested in one (new 2017 models due out soon and cheaper if buying two!) but not the Boardman.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    CADX Ultegra at £900 is a good price. Depends if you think 1 extra gear and hydraulic discs are worth £300 extra? I'd probably say not.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    The caadx ultegra at 900 quid is superb value
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I bought the Boardman as I had the same thought process re: killer value. And I was right. Its a stunner for the money. I can live with a PF BB for what i paid.