The Canyon Creak

skinnydog1973
skinnydog1973 Posts: 114
edited March 2019 in Road general
Hi Just wondering if anyone else has this problem, my canyon is ultimate cf sl 9.0 its 2 years old and the noises that it makes when im out of the saddle is shocking .In the last 2 months ive changed the bottom bracket and the headset bearings but it has made no difference I changed pedals also I was wondering if anyone knew what it might be or will I just have to put up with it, im not the greatest with bike maintenance so advice would be helpful cheers

Comments

• mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Have you greased the skewers?

Unbolted contact points and regreased? What about pedals or cleats?

I have had the same problem and found out it was my skewer. However my BB is in need of a change at some point soon :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    GCN have a whole series of videos on trying to resolve creaks. Would be worth watching those.
    http://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/tag/creaks/
  • marco67
    marco67 Posts: 91
    Hi Skinnydog, I've been tearing my hair out with a creak on my Canyon Endurace CF for months and was convinced it was the bottom bracket (which I replaced twice). Anyway, after reading about someones experience with a Giant that sounded similar to mine, it turned out it was a combination in my case of a loose rear mech hanger and not tightening the rear wheel QR enough. I was on the verge of selling the frame and buying something else with a threaded bb, but the bike is now fighting fit and quiet!
    Ciao Marco
  • thanks for that someone did mention it could be a wheel so I might swap them just to eliminate something else, I checked the rear mech that was fine
  • I had similar when out of the saddle in winter, turned out to be my gloves!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Check the wheels.
    I had a creak on my 2013 ultimate cf and was convinced it was the bb. Only after canyon had it back did they discover it was the mavic kysrium spokes.
  • Well looks like I've found the problem i put on a spare front wheel and the noise completely went what a thicko so looks like i will have to get some new bearings for the mavic wheel and i should be fine happy days lol
  • So, nothing to do with Canyon then?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Might not be the bearings. I have had a creaky Mavic ksyrium wheel before. Spokes/skewers and dropout interface are all possible culprits. Switch to Campag wheels, problems solved lol
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    Ah, thanks! Advice above re. greasing the QR lever has fixed a creak that's been bugging me for the last month. Repeatedly rebuilding the front end hadn't fixed it... didn't occur to me once it might be the QR :roll:
  • jerehada
    jerehada Posts: 24
    Had one for three years here is my Canyon anti creak knowledge. Care when servicing bike shops over tighten the seat post. It requires lower torque settings other wise frame creaks. I also had creaks from a service by a well know bike shop who did not torque up the chain rings. Bottom bracket sounding creak for me has been the rear R23 wheel. The rear bearing is noisy I have replaced three sets and it goes quiet for 900 miles or so before creaking returns. A 3rd source of creaking is if the wheels skewers are not super tight. Reading this I will start to crease the sewers also.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    One of my Canyons creaks at the front end - as much as you can ever tell where a creak is coming from. Changed the headset (it was a bit rough) but it didn't solve it. Turned out it was where the cable went into the frame. Needs a squirt of GT85 every month or so and it keep quiet.

PS It's a mountain bike but at least it's still a Canyon!
  • marco67 wrote:
    Hi Skinnydog, I've been tearing my hair out with a creak on my Canyon Endurace CF for months and was convinced it was the bottom bracket (which I replaced twice). Anyway, after reading about someones experience with a Giant that sounded similar to mine, it turned out it was a combination in my case of a loose rear mech hanger and not tightening the rear wheel QR enough. I was on the verge of selling the frame and buying something else with a threaded bb, but the bike is now fighting fit and quiet!
    +1 marco67 your comment was bang on! Previously for me, and on many occasions over the years, it's always been BB culprit for creaks/clicks/cracks with pedal strokes. I too have a Canyon Endurace CF (for 1.5 yrs) and following a recent creak-a-thon was about to knock out the press-fit BB (first time I've had press-fit, am not convinced that's progress) when I checked out the back wheel. Clue was it gave a little creak as I released it! The skewer was pretty dry and grease free. I also took off the mech hanger, which seemed tight but has a large overlapping area with the frame. So cleaned and smeared copper grease on all the metal-to-metal, oiled the cam pivot, plus a smudge of silicone grease on the cam itself. Much tighter closing on the QR and no dry interfaces. BOOM back to silent running, as it should be :D
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Well looks like I've found the problem i put on a spare front wheel and the noise completely went what a thicko so looks like i will have to get some new bearings for the mavic wheel and i should be fine happy days lol

Exactly what I had with mine. Had replaced the BB, regreased the headset, cleaned the skewers, everything. Six weeks it sounded like a bat of spanners.

Wheel bearings. 3 minute fix.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I can empathise with the OP above. I built a Endurace CF SLX disc 2 years ago with SRAM RED and 6 months ago, it developed a bottom bracket creak. One replaced C-Bear GXP BB later and the creak seemed to have subsided...hurrah... only to return a month later...boo. Started to think about changing the frameset for a threaded BB too. Came across this thread and cleaned and re-greased the Shimano pedals in the cranks, the rear-derailleur mount and the front and rear wheel axles. Voila...no creak...at least not yet! Not sure which of the components was at fault but thanks to everyone above