Mixed Terrain - tyre options?

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited August 2016 in Commuting general
For most of the past couple of years, I've been tending to run Schwalbe Landcruiser 35c tyres on my CX bike for general mixed terrain commuting and generally hacking about. Cheap, roll well, durable ... but heavy. Not great in mud, but OK for most easy-going off-road conditions ...

For the last 4 months, I've been running the WTB Nano CX in 40c flavour (only because I rode the Dirty Reiver gravel event back in April - ideal tyre for this event), which has been a bit more capable and comfortable off-road, but somewhat underwhelming (dangerous) on damp or wet tarmac / greasy cycle paths, particularly at higher pressures. I think the tread pattern just finds very little purchase on that kind of surface.

So, as we're heading into autumn, just after some suggestions as to some decent multi-terrain tyres. Need to be:
- durable / long-lasting (I tried Smart Sams ... wasn't impressed at how quickly the tread wore)
- reasonably puncture-proof
- roll well
- decent value (<£40/45 a pair)
- lighter than the Landcruisers ... more confidence-inspiring in the wet than the WTB's

Cheers ...

Comments

• Anyone any experience with these ...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-cyc ... g-cx-tyre/

They have a less defined / nobbly tread than I'm used to ... seem to get good reviews (although perhaps somewhat prone to punctures from thorns?)
  • For most of the past couple of years, I've been tending to run Schwalbe Landcruiser 35c tyres on my CX bike for general mixed terrain commuting and generally hacking about. Cheap, roll well, durable ... but heavy. Not great in mud, but OK for most easy-going off-road conditions ...

For the last 4 months, I've been running the WTB Nano CX in 40c flavour (only because I rode the Dirty Reiver gravel event back in April - ideal tyre for this event), which has been a bit more capable and comfortable off-road, but somewhat underwhelming (dangerous) on damp or wet tarmac / greasy cycle paths, particularly at higher pressures. I think the tread pattern just finds very little purchase on that kind of surface.

So, as we're heading into autumn, just after some suggestions as to some decent multi-terrain tyres. Need to be:
    - durable / long-lasting (I tried Smart Sams ... wasn't impressed at how quickly the tread wore)
    - reasonably puncture-proof
    - roll well
    - decent value (<£40/45 a pair)
    - lighter than the Landcruisers ... more confidence-inspiring in the wet than the WTB's

Cheers ...

tyres are compromise.

durability/puncture-proof vs weight
    wear rate vs grip
    rolling resistance vs compound/weight/tread type/and pixie dust!

no tyre is going to do all this stuff, TBH and some tyres people don't get on with, I hated the landcruisers when i used them, others love them.

the Conti a mate has them, seem fast towpath/gravel track tyre, they are like most CX tyres aimed for speed over durability.
  • Those Marathon Mondial at PX for £21 each? 650g iirc for 700x40c
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo