Which MTB 1/2 length Baggy shorts ?

Pesmo
Pesmo Posts: 7
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
I need a few pairs of robust baggy 1/2 length MTB shorts as my current shorts are on their last few rides.

One thing I would like is a sewn in liner with pad as I get fed up with reattaching the liner/pad where they are detachable. Every time shorts with the detachable liners come out of the washer, the liner and the shorts have separated and need to be reattached, which gets frustrating having to reassemble four pairs of shorts and liners a week.

Baggier the better as I am 120kg and have a large rear. :lol::mrgreen:

What do folks recommend ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Never seen a pair with non removable inners, so good luck.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The cheap DHB ones have a non-removable liner. I find them ok for commuting but on longer rides the pad isn't really in the right place, albeit this would be completely dependent on your riding position. Others will disagree but I rather like wearing roadie bib shorts under a pair of baggies.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Wouldnt bother with non-removable inners. How difficult is it to put an inner short on and then an outer and NOT bother about poppers and other nonsense?

My recommendation would be Pearl Izumi Launch shorts, but they have removable liners (one of the best ever, in my opinion). Not sure if they do XXL (I can tell you from personal experience that you won't get in XL, but at 98kg I'm not that much smaller than you and the XL are adjustable to go bigger than I need them).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I must say, I never bother clipping mine on.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Same - as far as I am concerned the inner is stand-alone piece of clothing, like underwear (and gets used on whatever other shorts I want to wear too).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Endure Hummvee. Brilliant shorts. Comfortable and long-lasting.

The liner is removable but it's only held in with a few poppers and takes about 30 seconds to clip in. Not exactly an onerous task.

Why are you washing your shorts and liners together so often? Liners need regular, frequent washing, but shorts, at least mine, probably only get washed once for every 4 or 5 washes the liner gets unless they are really muddy and wet.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Endura MT500 are my favourites. Cheap, comfortable, tough and look good.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • Pesmo
    Pesmo Posts: 7
    Thx guys, The reason I prefer the liner sewn in, is that one of my current pairs of MTB shorts has this and they are just so much less faff to use than other shorts where they are separate, so they became my 'shorts of choice' :) . Unfortunately the rubberised badge showing the makers name dropped of a while ago and I cannot remember who made them :(

Thx for the tips, I will look up the Endura's