Live Strava Segments on a Garmin 820

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Does this only work with a Premium Strava account?

Comments

• graememacd
    graememacd Posts: 386
    Does this only work with a Premium Strava account?

Yes that's correct
  • Thank you
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    However, you can wait for a free months upgrade offer and gain the live segments that way. I just collected them for my commute (don't really see the point of having them except on segments you regularly ride) and they work indefinitely once on the unit. They do get irritating after a while though - particularly in winter when you have little chance of beating your target!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ah that's interesting, I've got a 2 month free trial with the unit. TBH I'm thinking of sending the 820 back, it was a birthday present from my wife and although I haven't used it on the bike (wouldn't feel I could return it if I did) I'm a bit underwhelmed. I've got an 800 and my first impression was the screen size on the 820 was too small for me. I've never had any issues with the 800 and used the navigation extensively on audaxes, Jogle etc. I can see the beauty of the thing but maybe I'm just a Luddite.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I've got the 820 having switched from the 810. Yes the screen size is smaller and being long sighted, reading things like Strava Segments and message alerts was always going to be a problem. Thankfully, I don't bother with them and just cancel Strava Segments whenever they flash up. The map, I use turn by turn alerts so don't really need the screen except on a free ride where I may not know the roads. Zooming in gives a larger image over a reduced area though if I need it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    They do get irritating after a while though -

Strava segments or users?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • philthy3 wrote:
    I've got the 820 having switched from the 810. Yes the screen size is smaller and being long sighted, reading things like Strava Segments and message alerts was always going to be a problem. Thankfully, I don't bother with them and just cancel Strava Segments whenever they flash up. The map, I use turn by turn alerts so don't really need the screen except on a free ride where I may not know the roads. Zooming in gives a larger image over a reduced area though if I need it.
    I'm long sighted too and use Dual sunglasses with the reading inserts so I can see the screen clearly. I think I might be better off with a Garmin 1000 as a lot of the features of the 820 are due on the 1000 with firmware updates and I get the big screen? My bad for not researching it properly.
  • As I'm coming from a garmin 500 it's quite a step up for me. I find the segments good although I'm not as obsessed as many but it's a bit of fun. The live tracking needs time to get other friends on garmin and registered on connect. It helps to have friends.....

To be honest my onlydisappointment so far is the battery life. Although Garmin advertise up to 15 hours I find that if I want to use the course satnav for any more than 4 hrs and I was desperately using the battery save option which is good.

It could also be down to the way I was using it Continually playing with my new toy.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • StillGoing
    As I'm coming from a garmin 500 it's quite a step up for me. I find the segments good although I'm not as obsessed as many but it's a bit of fun. The live tracking needs time to get other friends on garmin and registered on connect. It helps to have friends.....

To be honest my onlydisappointment so far is the battery life. Although Garmin advertise up to 15 hours I find that if I want to use the course satnav for any more than 4 hrs and I was desperately using the battery save option which is good.

It could also be down to the way I was using it Continually playing with my new toy.

Only for group tracking, not LiveTracking. LiveTracking you just enter the email address of who wants to monitor your ride be it your coach, other half or ride buddies that you're riding to meet and want to check how soon they need to set off to meet up.
  • Only for group tracking, not LiveTracking. LiveTracking you just enter the email address of who wants to monitor your ride be it your coach, other half or ride buddies that you're riding to meet and want to check how soon they need to set off to meet up.[/quote]

Ah so you saw my deliberate mistake.... I've done the live tracking but the incident detection has me stumped. Or am I getting further muddled?

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Only for group tracking, not LiveTracking. LiveTracking you just enter the email address of who wants to monitor your ride be it your coach, other half or ride buddies that you're riding to meet and want to check how soon they need to set off to meet up.[/quote]

Ah so you saw my deliberate mistake.... I've done the live tracking but the incident detection has me stumped. Or am I getting further muddled?

• StillGoing
    Only for group tracking, not LiveTracking. LiveTracking you just enter the email address of who wants to monitor your ride be it your coach, other half or ride buddies that you're riding to meet and want to check how soon they need to set off to meet up.

Ah so you saw my deliberate mistake.... I've done the live tracking but the incident detection has me stumped. Or am I getting further muddled?[/quote]

Incident detection on mine is deactivated from standard and I have no intention of activating it. Too prone with false alerts from heavy braking or bumps in the road surface and unable to cancel them in time by all accounts.