Another "what bike around £1200" thread

neilhannam
neilhannam Posts: 58
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello all. Just looking for a bit of advice on a new bike purchase and hoping some of you might be able to offer some advice.

First off bit of background. Currently ride a Felt F95, a basic entry level aluminium job with Sora groupset, basic wheels and own brand finishing kit. Having started to ratchet up the miles and enter a couple of longer group rides, next year hoping to get onto the 100 which is what im working towards. I'm a heavier chap but loosing the pounds and fancy a new bike to help with the motivation and because, well, doesn't everyone want a new bike every few years.

Currently looking at a budget of £1500 absolute max, ideally closer to £1200. Been to a few stores, asked some questions and sat on a few but not taken the plunge yet. General consensus from stores seems to be carbon would be a better option than aluminium for the comfort and really to focus on getting the best frame, fork and wheel set up as other bits can be upgraded as you go. Seems like sensible advice.

At the moment I think i've narrowed down a large field to a small handful of options but really happy to take recommendations from anyone. Current shortlist is:

Cube Attain GTC - http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/road-rac ... nred-2016/
Ribble Gran Fondo Special Edition 105 - http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-gr ... -105-5800/
Canyon Endurance CF 7.0 - https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endur ... f-7-0.html
Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport - http://www.rutlandcycling.com/318881/pr ... Aobc8P8HAQ

Now two of those I can try and two I can't so the old adage of "get the one that fits best" doesn't really apply unless I eliminate two options. Just interested in any experiences anyone has on these or any advice they can offer?

Many thanks

Comments

• I would go with the canyon if it was me
  • DanTe1
    DanTe1 Posts: 9
    I have a few bikes including a Canyon Aeroad full Di2 - the works, also have a fancy steel audax light touring thing designed for comfort yet the bike I go for is my new Canyon AL SLX 9.0
    They've absolutely nailed that frame, it's a brilliant bike.
    It's extremely comfortable, 7kg and really responsive.
    For that price I wouldn't look elsewhere. Sure Canyon can be a real pain to deal with but it'll be worth it.
    The bike it replaced was a CAAD10 and the canyon is a much better bike..
  • oxoman wrote:
    Just carry on riding your felt would be my first bit of advice. I still ride an old 14 speed shimano 2300 Dawes Giro on flatter 100 mile sportives rather than take my 105 equipped Moda out. I would personally look at getting to target weight then rewarding yourself with something even better. For comfort the Trek Domane is pretty much one of the best around. If your still looking at getting one of the four listed I would be looking at the two you cannot easily try, the Ribble and Canyon. Giant Defy is another worth looking at as well.

Thanks for the reply. Fully appreciate the Felt is far from needing to be replaced but having test ridden a couple of my friends bikes and with an eye on doing more and more I'm just in the place where I'd like an upgrade.

Trek and Giant have both been looked at too and seem to do great options in this price bracket and again can be tested. However would either give a better option bike than either the Ribble (great value for the current sub £1k price) or the Canyon?

Also if you have a Moda equipped with 105 why the preference to ride the older bike on rides up to 100 miles?

Thanks again
  • DanTe1 wrote:
    I have a few bikes including a Canyon Aeroad full Di2 - the works, also have a fancy steel audax light touring thing designed for comfort yet the bike I go for is my new Canyon AL SLX 9.0
    For that price I wouldn't look elsewhere. Sure Canyon can be a real pain to deal with but it'll be worth it.

Thanks for the response. What do you think makes the Canyon so much better? And I've heard and read the stories of issues with Canyons service but surely if they are listing as having my size (as gauged by their online tool) as in stock rather than having a delivery date sometime in the next couple months I could hope to have it shipped and with me without too much fuss?

Out of interest why did you go aluminium over carbon fibre?

Cheers
  • At this price point is it better to be looking at bottom end carbon or higher end aluminium. I'm really starting to lead towards the Canyon but the Endurance range has both a aluminium and carbon model in my price range. The aluminium has Ultegra kit whilst the carbon is 105. The carbon is just £150 more, so question is whether or not the increase in cost is worth it for the carbon frame and the slight sacrifice in terms of groupset.

Is it always this hard to buy a new bike?
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Whatever you buy to a price, there is always something a little better for Just a bit more.
  • DanTe1
    neilhannam wrote:
    DanTe1 wrote:

Thanks for the response. What do you think makes the Canyon so much better? And I've heard and read the stories of issues with Canyons service but surely if they are listing as having my size (as gauged by their online tool) as in stock rather than having a delivery date sometime in the next couple months I could hope to have it shipped and with me without too much fuss?

Cheers

Hi there..
    I got the AL as a luxury winter bike, I have carbon covered with the Aeroad. Two quite different bikes but both extremely well done.
    I'm not sure exactly what they've done with the AL SLX frame, maybe different thickness's of aluminium here and there, geometry and I'm sure I could spout a load of tech terms that i'd read in a mag but i'll resist.
    The best way i can describe it is that its super stiff but still feels springy.
    They've just nailed that frame its an absolute peach.
    For the money you're looking to spend I personally wouldn't look anywhere else. If they say its in stock then you should be ok. Push them for clarification on delivery dates before going any further..
    Size wise I'm 6'2 and ride a size L with a 130 stem. The L is pretty much the same size as a cannondale 58 if that helps.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I've had a CAAD10 for 5 years and recently got a CAAD12 for summer use and the 12 feels significantly better than the 10.

IMO, A CAAD12 105 with some new wheels/tyres must be the best bang for buck you can get right now.
  • Ascot17
    Ascot17 Posts: 97
    Have a look on eBay [or Bike Radar classifieds or Gumtree etc].

For that budget you will get Carbon/Ultegra and disc brakes or Carbon/Ultegra Di2 and probably less than a year old.

There are plenty of little-used or much-loved bikes around if you take your time looking and you get a lot more bang for your buck.
  • neilhannam wrote:
    At this price point is it better to be looking at bottom end carbon or higher end aluminium. I'm really starting to lead towards the Canyon but the Endurance range has both a aluminium and carbon model in my price range. The aluminium has Ultegra kit whilst the carbon is 105. The carbon is just £150 more, so question is whether or not the increase in cost is worth it for the carbon frame and the slight sacrifice in terms of groupset.

Is it always this hard to buy a new bike?

Go for the carbon with 105. Carbon is much more forgiving and the 105 is just a black version of ultegra now since it's gone 11 speed
    Group set can easily be upgraded in the future but the frame isn't as simple
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Not sure I'd agree with "Carbon is much more forgiving". It can be, then again it can be as stiff as a very stiff thing. A lot depends on the exact ingredients in the mix, the layup and design, etc. I have found that things like tyre size and pressure, along with internal rim width can make a massive difference on comfort/forgiveness, as well as other things that add up like a carbon fork and seatpost size (something in 27.2mm usually does the trick).

The problem the OP will have is that it is very hard for anyone to actually recommend a specific bike when they are all in the right ballpark. The market around £1k is stuffed full and everyone seems to have a favourite, although that will often come down to the paintjob. I would never buy a bike online without seeing/riding one first as a trial but I know plenty of folks who have, and have not regretted it one bit.

If in doubt, pick a bike that you like the look of and makes you want to ride it.
  • banditvic wrote:
    Whatever you buy to a price, there is always something a little better for Just a bit more.

I guess that's what makes it so hard. Just need to set that cut off point and stick to it, easier said than done though
  • DanTe1 wrote:
    neilhannam wrote:
    DanTe1 wrote:

Cheers

Hi there..
    I got the AL as a luxury winter bike, I have carbon covered with the Aeroad. Two quite different bikes but both extremely well done.
    I'm not sure exactly what they've done with the AL SLX frame, maybe different thickness's of aluminium here and there, geometry and I'm sure I could spout a load of tech terms that i'd read in a mag but i'll resist.
    For the money you're looking to spend I personally wouldn't look anywhere else. If they say its in stock then you should be ok. Push them for clarification on delivery dates before going any further..
    Size wise I'm 6'2 and ride a size L with a 130 stem. The L is pretty much the same size as a cannondale 58 if that helps.

Really appreciate the input and im being swayed towards the Canyon and just need to decide between the CF or AL. For £150 extra im leaning slightly to the carbon side but given you can't test ride them (or any bike to any extent for that matter unless someone has one) im wondering if I went AL then I wouldn't know what im missing out on in terms of benefit of carbon.

Size wise im 6'1 but apparently have short legs (according to my wife and Canyon's sizing tool) and it's recommending a medium which given im currently on a 56 i imagine would be about right.

Thanks again for your input.
  • Singleton wrote:
    I've had a CAAD10 for 5 years and recently got a CAAD12 for summer use and the 12 feels significantly better than the 10.

IMO, A CAAD12 105 with some new wheels/tyres must be the best bang for buck you can get right now.

CAAD has been considered but wasn't convinced despite the great reviews. Something about it I just didn't really like, perhaps it was the luminous green accents but just was excited by it when I saw it in my local bike shop. Appreciate the suggestion all the same.
  • Ascot17 wrote:
    Have a look on eBay [or Bike Radar classifieds or Gumtree etc].

For that budget you will get Carbon/Ultegra and disc brakes or Carbon/Ultegra Di2 and probably less than a year old.

There are plenty of little-used or much-loved bikes around if you take your time looking and you get a lot more bang for your buck.

Might be snobbery but im only in the market for new this time around. Appreciate there's some bargain likely to be had in the second hand market but I want that fresh out the box feel you can't get from second hand.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    The problem the OP will have is that it is very hard for anyone to actually recommend a specific bike when they are all in the right ballpark. The market around £1k is stuffed full and everyone seems to have a favourite, although that will often come down to the paintjob. I would never buy a bike online without seeing/riding one first as a trial but I know plenty of folks who have, and have not regretted it one bit.

If in doubt, pick a bike that you like the look of and makes you want to ride it.

That price point does seem to have a couple of good options from a lot of the manufacturers which does make it very difficult as a lot of the time the kit is 105, the wheels are similar standards and the finishing kit is own brand or something like Deda which is not enough to swing you one way or another. So it comes back to frame, fit and looks and really, with big name brands is there significant difference in a frame that an enthusiast like myself could really detect.

As for fit, sitting on one in a shop or tootling round their car park doesn't come close to the amount of time you'll actually spend in the saddle on a proper ride so how much can you really gauge from that? Event the shops I've been in I've had two different staff members recommend two different sizes of the same bike so are they anymore reliable than an online fit calculator.

So perhaps looks are the best deciding factor as long as you get a size that you can tailor to fit once you've got a reasonable number of miles under your tyres and know how it really feels.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Not sure I'd agree with "Carbon is much more forgiving". It can be, then again it can be as stiff as a very stiff thing. A lot depends on the exact ingredients in the mix, the layup and design, etc. I have found that things like tyre size and pressure, along with internal rim width can make a massive difference on comfort/forgiveness, as well as other things that add up like a carbon fork and seatpost size (something in 27.2mm usually does the trick).

Love it. Exactly what I will probably end up doing
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Find a bike that fits you. Then make sure you like it. And can afford it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • DanTe1
    neilhannam wrote:
    DanTe1 wrote:
    neilhannam wrote:
    DanTe1 wrote:

Cheers

Hi there..

Really appreciate the input and im being swayed towards the Canyon and just need to decide between the CF or AL. For £150 extra im leaning slightly to the carbon side but given you can't test ride them (or any bike to any extent for that matter unless someone has one) im wondering if I went AL then I wouldn't know what im missing out on in terms of benefit of carbon.

Size wise im 6'1 but apparently have short legs (according to my wife and Canyon's sizing tool) and it's recommending a medium which given im currently on a 56 i imagine would be about right.

Thanks again for your input.

Hello Neil.
    I think it'll pretty much come down to a looks thing. I hired a CF SL last year in the pryennees, it was a very nice bike, not sure i'd swap my AL for it though but from memory, there's very little between the two bikes. Hard to say after a year I spose. I'm not really sure what advantage lower grade carbon would have on high end aluminium.
    I really rate that AL.
    Depends on your reach but you'll be at the very upper end of a M at 6'1. I have longish legs so a decent amount of post on show, ride it with 1x5mm spacer and swapped out the 110 stem for a 130..
  • So I was holding off for The Cycle Show in mid September so I could visit the Canyon stand and actually try out the medium and large sizes just to try and make sure I get the fit right. In the meantime they've gone and launched the "2017" version of both the Endurance CF and AL 7.0 models which appear to be exactly the same as the 2016 ones only £150 more expensive each.

Canyon don't appear to have changed a thing, not even a new colour scheme to try and disguise the fact they're no different from the 2016 models and yet the price has gone up by around 10%. No doubt they'll blame it on Brexit and the Sterling/Euro exchange rate but still, feels very cheeky of them.
  • Thanks everyone for their help. On Sunday I went to Rutland Cycles and picked up a lovely 2016 Cube Attain GTC Race. Carbon frame and fork, full Ultegra bar the brake calipers, Mavic Aksium Elite rims and hubs and Cubes own finishing kit.

£1,099 down from £1,499 and got to take it home there and then after it had all been set up. Didn't get a chance to ride it properly due to the weather but very please with the little tootling about that I've done on it whilst I get the set up right. A big thumbs up for the team at Rutland Cycles and their very helpful staff. Free service after 6-8 weeks too, something you won't be getting off Canyon and the other online retailers.

Roll on spring...