Bikes £1000 to £1500

storeybook
storeybook Posts: 4
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Which bikes do you recommend in the 1k to 1.5k price bracket?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Might need a bit more info than that.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Given this is in the road forum I suspect you are after a drop bar bike. I will also assume you want something that can be used for a bit of everything ?

For your price you are probably looking at house brands like pinnacle, btwin, boardman with 2nd or 3rd tier kit (105/ultegra or campaign equivalent) or mainstream brand like trek, Specialized etc with Tiagra / 105.

If you are after a good all rounder then look for something with guard mounts and tyre clearance for 28c tyres. The only only other thing I would say is look for wheelset as often higher groupset come at the cost of low spec wheels. Wheels will have a far greater influence on performance than gruppo. Shimano tiagra is just as reliable as 105 but a boggo shimano wheelset will be heavier than say a decent set of Mavics etc. Rotational mass of wheels makes up for far more than saving weight elsewhere.

Look at Evans pinnacle series or Btwin (btwin do a full ultegra bike with Mavic wheels for £1k!) Cannondale CAAD series is highly regarded (not sure of guard mounts tho). Planet x sl pro carbon series is also excellent and finally Ribble will custom build you a Alu, steel or carbon bike well within budget.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Ignore the above post ... Btwin, Pinnacle etc. are bikes for folks starting out with half your budget ...

You'll get decent carbon (or higher end alu) with 105/Ultegra with your budget, especially with the current discounts on 2016 bikes ...

Just check out the main online sites like Evans, Tredz etc. to see what catches your eye within your budget then google the bike to find the best price (eg. Evans are selling a caad 12 Ultegra for £1450 but this can be found for £175 less) ...

Also go to a shop armed with some ideas/prices and see what they can match (plus use this as an opportunity to put your leg over a few and get the size you need so youcan buy online if required) ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Ibaz
    Ibaz Posts: 37
    I was offered a carbon/Ultegra KTM revelator Sky for £1650 over the week by my local shop
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    The market is flooded with bikes in that price range and I doubt that any will be bad. You will get many different opinions on here which could confuse you so find one you like and buy it, aluminium or carbon it will be your choice.
  • mr_eddy
    In answer to one of the above DON'T discount Btwin etc, They are genuinely awesome value for money and only brand snobs turn their noses up. In terms of bang for buck look at the following, I can all but guarantee you won't get the same spec from one of the 'BIG' brands out there:

FULL ultegra inc brakes with Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels 8.2kg
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-720-a ... 31274.html
    Gets a full 5 star review (pretty rare) from cycling weekly, another £50 gets you Campag Athena

The are UCI approved (not so many big named bike frames for the same price) so technically they can be used in all the big races.

Re Planet X this again VFM is amazing:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT ... -road-bike
    Again Ultegra but with Carbon frame and a all up weight of 8.1kg

If you wanted a big name brand then Cube do some decent stuff too:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod141420
    Carbon frame with lower spec but still very good 105 and Aksium wheels

Before anyone else discounts the above lets not forget that Planet X are sponsors for a many UCI sanctioned races etc and I also believe some U21 teams use there bikes for training ?

FYI - I am not affiliated with either of the above and I have personally owned bikes from in house brands and big brands alike, Personally I have found that if you can look past the brand snobbery the in house stuff is arguably better VFM without any sacrifice on quality.
  • mr_eddy
    This is also available and seems to be the exception to the rule of VFM and Big Brand status:
    https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/canno ... oCR0bw_wcB

Again 5 star review and comes in around 8kg I believe
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Merida Reacto 4000. You may even find a 5000 somewhere for the money. The 4000 will have 105 11 speed and the 5000 Ultra 11 speed. If you're not a fan of Shimano, you can always do what I did and sell the standard groups and fit whatever you want.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Reacto-4 ... _81915.htm
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Get something 2nd hand, I have a Spesh Allez with force22 i payed $600 for. IDK what the used market is like in the UK or Europe, but $600 is roughly 450GBP.