new hubs? what to buy?

shaw8670
shaw8670 Posts: 264
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
i am going to have new wheels built. I run campagnolo stuff. Campag Record hubs don't seem to have that great a name at the moment, soft freehub bearings? Hope seem worth a look? Ambrosio and Miche seem like good value. All are possibilities. Any tips on the above, or other ideas?
Greetings from the wet and windy North west

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    White Industries T11.
  • Chris Kink
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Chris Kink

Should that be King?? Chris King?

Very sloppy :D FTFY
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Chris Kink

A word of warning with Chris King hubs. They're ell engineered, beautifully made, silky smooth and great to work on and service. However, after 6 months my front hub flange failed, a piece broke off near a spoke! I had a new one replaced and the wheel rebuilt on warranty. Then checking my bike over 3 months later a week before the P-R Sportive, I noticed another a bad crack on the rear flange near a spoke hole. Again this was replaced and re-built. I didn't trust them after that. The wheelbuilder did say it was very unusual for this to happen but I couldn't be bothered with the hassle so sold them. A real shame as they're stunning hubs but if they keep breaking I can't recommend them in my experience.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    shaw8670 wrote:
    i am going to have new wheels built. I run campagnolo stuff. Campag Record hubs don't seem to have that great a name at the moment, soft freehub bearings? Hope seem worth a look? Ambrosio and Miche seem like good value. All are possibilities. Any tips on the above, or other ideas?

"soft freeehub bearings"? Where do you guys come up with this stuff?
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    DT Swiss 240's.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    Not all combinations of hubs and rims work well together, so what rims?
    left the forum March 2023
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Royce.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Can't beat Dure Ace.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    dennisn wrote:
    shaw8670 wrote:

They read forums on the internet.
  • dennisn
    lesfirth wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    shaw8670 wrote:

They read forums on the internet.
    Oh that's right. Sorry, my bad. Soft huh?∅
  • dennisn
    Can't beat Dure Ace.
    Or Record for that matter. Both as good as it gets.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Record hubs are perfect. Bearing cups can be replaced. Freehubs are affordable unlkke da hubs. Madsion have sjoved up the trade and rrp of da hubs to something steller. Nearly white industries t11 money now.

White industries t11 hubs are noce. Bearings are easily changed when they need to be. Light too.

Shimano dura ace good piece of kit.

Royce not light but they work very well. Steel axles and big bearings
    Carbon ti, very light 20f/24r drilling and for straight pull spokes only. They seem pretty reliable.
    Extralite for weight weeneis oddly given there low weight they seem to last reasonably well. They do require care though.
    Dt swiss road rim brake hubs. Poor nds bracing angle. They require a stiff rim.
    Chris king. Overpriced. They make royce look cheap.

Miche primato. Steel axles and nig bearings. The bearing seem to last and are a dodble to replace. Miche hubs are the easiest things to pull apart and put back together again. When the bearings go and it takes a while just replace. I own a variety of wheels with shimano dura ace, campag record and chorus, carbon ti, royce..... hubs all high end kit but my wheelsets with cheaper miche hubs work just as well for just as long. Go figure. The silver record and royce ti/carbon hubs are prettier though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    Soft freehub bearings comes from3 Campag freehubs in a row that have had bearing failures. Campag say the FH body is non serviceable, but that is not true, as I've replaced the crappy bearings with SKS ones for a friend that does massive mileage, to good effect. My point is that if the Record bearings are the same as Zonda and Shamal bearings, that would be rather disappointing!
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I run Campagnolo and have Record, Hope and Miche hubs on different sets of wheels. Record are nice but only available in 32H. The Miche seem to do everything you'll want from a hub, and are cheap. Per cycleclinic comments above - why would you spend more?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I have Miche on the road bike and Hope on the MTBs (after similar discussions with LBS and wheelbuilders) and they are faultless.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Hope hubs have a very noisy freehub, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your POV.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    I have been using White Industries T11 hubs for a few years with no problems.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    drlodge wrote:
    Hope hubs have a very noisy freehub, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your POV.
    Yes they do, and it's bl**dy annoying! But.....I have a pair of 15 year old Hope hubs on an MTB and they're still running fantastically well.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill