Olympics...

2»

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Very cool, dad. Where is that? Some odd number plates there.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Johannesburg, South Africa. The letters stood for Transvaal (the province, like county I guess) Johannesburg.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Cooldad, you've been around since forever mate?! :mrgreen:
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sometimes it feels that way.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Does anyone still do skateboarding?
    I've still got my old Santa Cruz board. I'll get in training.

Yes.

Which one you got? I've got an old Jeff Kendall Cobra deck which is now on my study wall.

I've got an 8.5" Taylor screaming hand team board.

Youngster! Mine's from around '87, the original 10" wide one, with Independents and OJ 2 Elites. I was gutted when they reissued it recently, although mine is graphic on plain wood, the reissues all have a single base colour.

Current rides are an 8.25 Chapman blue concave with Indys and Element 57s and a Flip P2 Bob with Indys and Bones 60mm which I prefer as it has a longer wheelbase (I'm 6'4").

I'm a bit younger than Cooldad but still started skating in '76. Was doing daffy ducks with my Logan Earth Ski/ACS500/Kryps and my brothers Sims/ACS/OJ combo.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Living up to your name Cooldad! classic 70's picture
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    figbat wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Where could London or Paris hold a decent DH close enough to satisfy the requirements, or Tokyo, the irony is that Rio is probably one of the few that could, so totally agree.

How close does it need to be? In Beijing the equestrian events were held over 1,200 miles away. With that range all of the UK and much of Northern Europe is in scope.

I don't think location is an issue. As pointed out above, proximity is not an issue. I think the real problem would be the Olympic Committee's aversion to such high levels of risk. I'm not sure I can think of another Olympic even that carries the same risk of getting completely splattered, even given some of the spectacular wipeouts we saw on the roads this time.
    They have tightened up on locations and it has to be fairly near the host city, which is why the London 2012 XC event was held in what was basically a slightly hilly field compared to many other possible UK venues they couldn't use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The Rookie wrote:
    figbat wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Where could London or Paris hold a decent DH close enough to satisfy the requirements, or Tokyo, the irony is that Rio is probably one of the few that could, so totally agree.

How close does it need to be? In Beijing the equestrian events were held over 1,200 miles away. With that range all of the UK and much of Northern Europe is in scope.

I don't think location is an issue. As pointed out above, proximity is not an issue. I think the real problem would be the Olympic Committee's aversion to such high levels of risk. I'm not sure I can think of another Olympic even that carries the same risk of getting completely splattered, even given some of the spectacular wipeouts we saw on the roads this time.
    They have tightened up on locations and it has to be fairly near the host city, which is why the London 2012 XC event was held in what was basically a slightly hilly field compared to many other possible UK venues they couldn't use.

This year the football took place in 5 different cities, one of which was over 1,700 miles away from Rio.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607