Dropper Seatpost - Shim?

bungalballs
bungalballs Posts: 193
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Im getting a new frame front triangle on warranty replacement. The replacement is 1year newer, having changed from 27.2mm seat post to 30.9mm.

I have a thomson dropper in 27.2mm. Is there any reason why I can't use a shim with the seat post to size it up to the new frame?

(By the way, the bike is a Whyte. I took the frame to my LBS where i bought it, who have been dealing with Whyte for me. Even though I am well over the 5yr frame warranty, the shop rang me to say Whyte have not only sent the frame front end anyway, but because of a change in colour schemes between the years, they have also sent new colour coordinated pivot bolt caps, linkages, seat post and saddle. Big fat thumbs up and thank you to Whyte!)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shim will be fine, I have a 27.2 post - cheap mechanical post, in a 30.9 tube. Post is shit but the shim is fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To keep clamp loads sensible I often use some gripper paste with shims, even more important as some droppers don't like high clamp loads very much!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah thats the bit I'm worried about - clamping properly without damaging anything. I know the dropper goes a bit funny/clicky if I over tighten. Just want to make sure don't compress something and stop it working properly or damage it long term.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I used a reverb with a shim in my old nukeproof mega frame for a good while and did no harm. I did have to be careful with clamping force which made the post bind-up if over-torqued slightly, which I've never had before or since, presumably because of the smaller clamping area. As I said though, it was fine.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Ok thanks guys. I'll try it and if I have problems, I'll eBay it for a reverb!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Use some gripper paste between post and shim (Shims seem slipperier inside than seat tubes) and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I align the split in the shim with that in the seattube, but always put the gap in the clamp opposite that so you get more radial compression and not pinching the tube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.