Annoying Strava Anomaly - Biggest Climb

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,422
edited August 2016 in Road general
Hi. When comparing my stats against another on Strava on the 'Side by Side' comparison I get a stupidly low Biggest Climb of 36ft. Since I live in Bath, any route out of here has a climb of at least 400ft to go anywhere!

It's not really that important but it bugs me and I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas?

Ta

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Have you contacted strava?
  • PhotoNic69 wrote:
    It's not really that important

Agreed......... :D
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas?

Click on 'elevation?' then click on 'correct elevation'
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Ta
    You're very welcome :wink:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • photonic69

PhotoNic69 wrote:
    I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas?

Click on 'elevation?' then click on 'correct elevation'
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Ta
    You're very welcome :wink:

It's not an incorrect elevation. It's just that it says my biggest climb overall (of all time) is 36 ft which is pathetic.

• PhotoNic69 wrote:

It's not an incorrect elevation. It's just that it says my biggest climb overall (of all time) is 36 ft which is pathetic.

Ah right. That's me all out of ideas then.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I would be happy with 36ft ... My biggest climb is " - "

Been trying to workout if it gets elevation from its mapping or from the gps (mine is a watch without altimeter) or from a separate altimeter in some gps units ... But my biggest clime is " - "
  • mrtn
    mrtn Posts: 24
    It records the biggest climb among all the segments that you have ridden, IIRC. Are there any Strava segments in your climbing route?
  • mrtn wrote:
    It records the biggest climb among all the segments that you have ridden, IIRC. Are there any Strava segments in your climbing route?

I rode from Bristol to Bath once, pan flat cycle path
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • photonic69

I rode from Bristol to Bath once, pan flat cycle path

Yup. that bit certainly is! Well it is an old railway track so what would you expect!

Today's climb out of town was 473ft. Last week we did 1090m of climbing in 44 miles. It's very lumpy around these parts.

• photonic69
    mrtn wrote:

Yup. Quite a few segments on that climb:

VAM 788
    Elev Diff 471ft
    It records the segment OK it's just when I compare with other riders it gives me a paltry 36ft! Grrr

• PhotoNic69 wrote:
    mrtn wrote:

VAM 788
    Elev Diff 471ft
    It records the segment OK it's just when I compare with other riders it gives me a paltry 36ft! Grrr

Your VAM is too low, needs to be 1000+
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    if you can create segments yourself, do that and then ride it?
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    Sorry just read thread properly. I'll get my own coat, taxi is outside :oops: :lol:
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I think the 'biggest climb' comes from the segment you've completed with the largest elevation difference.

I rode the Etape du Tour in 2014. Somebody created a segment from the start to the peak of the Tourmalet, 97.6km, lowest elevation 175m, highest 2118m, difference 1943m. This became my biggest climb, although it is not really a climb...

So, what does Strava actually think yours is? And if you can find a segment with a bigger difference on one of your rides then an email to Strava should fix things.

Paul
  • mrtn
    mrtn Posts: 24
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

VAM 788
    Elev Diff 471ft

Is your ride saved as public? If you lock it as private, it may also not show in the comparisons.
  • photonic69
    Yeah, I've plenty of rides with segments showing sections with 700-850 ft climbs. Seems like an email to Strava is the only option.

• Go to your profile (web). Scroll down to biggest climb, the number should come up as a hyper-link. Click on that and it takes you to the ride and segment which is recorded as your biggest climb.

There will likely be a bug in the data as to why strava is selecting such a low number. One solution would be to delete that one screwy ride, or re-sync the segments on it?

However, as a general point, the 'biggest climb' on mine has never really tallied. I'd just ignore it.
  • photonic69

There will likely be a bug in the data as to why strava is selecting such a low number. One solution would be to delete that one screwy ride, or re-sync the segments on it?

I can't delete the ride in question as it was one of my longest and hardest rides I've done!!! If it was the usual club run then fine but NOT the Lionheart!! :D

• Ha, ok then. Out of interest what does the segment it links to look like?

Maybe try re-syncing the segments on the ride... other than that, send a support request to strava if it bothers you.
  • photonic69
    It's this segment:

https://www.strava.com/segments/2805585

I've just realised that this is where a feed station was on the Lionheart so I have a shockingly bad time for this segment too! grrr.

• If you click on the a few of the names on the leaderboard for that segment, you will see it is listed as their biggest climbs too, at a mere 11m.

Clearly some sort of bug in the data for that segment.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    If you can see which segment it is then flag the segment and it should remove it and default to your next highest.
  • photonic69
    The Ticket to Strava did the trick!

They manually amended my stats and it now shows a more healthy 862ft climb.

That's better.

• Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    When i click on my biggest climb it links to a downhill segment. To top it off its listed at Cat 4
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Websta24 wrote:
    When i click on my biggest climb it links to a downhill segment. To top it off its listed at Cat 4
    Yep same here.