CAADX Tiagra 4600 to 105 5800

drewesq
drewesq Posts: 137
edited August 2016 in Workshop
OK, great bike, 2014 disc. After having a few bikes I keep going back to my CAADX. My only issue is the groupset is pants...

Compared to my old Synapse 105 I find the changes clunky and I want to upgrade.

I know my current setup is 10 speed and the 5800 is 11 speed. I also know that I'll need new shifters and will want to change the rear mech, cassette and chain. Is it all worth it?

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the cassette will fit my wheel, I think they're the same wheels as the 2015 105 model, but presumably I'll need to remove an adapter or something?

Just as a side question, does anyone know if I'll be able to fit 30mm tyres to these wheels?

Cannondale CAADX Disc 2014 Tiagra - Blue
Charge Plug 0
Voodoo Bizango 2015
Ridgeback World Tour (mainly for commuting and holidays)
:mrgreen:

Comments

• drewesq wrote:
    I know my current setup is 10 speed and the 5800 is 11 speed. I also know that I'll need new shifters and will want to change the rear mech, cassette and chain. Is it all worth it?

Front mech, rear mech, shifters, cassette, chain. Throw in some cables too. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that.
    The only thing I'm not sure about is if the cassette will fit my wheel, I think they're the same wheels as the 2015 105 model, but presumably I'll need to remove an adapter or something?

That's the big one. If you have an 11 speed hub then you'll already have a spacer fitted behind your cassette. But if the hub is 10 speed then you won't be able to fit an 11 speed cassette on it.
  • drewesq wrote:

Front mech, rear mech, shifters, cassette, chain. Throw in some cables too. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that.

That's the big one. If you have an 11 speed hub then you'll already have a spacer fitted behind your cassette. But if the hub is 10 speed then you won't be able to fit an 11 speed cassette on it.

If you have a 10 speed cassette it will already have a spacer behind it.. please see the workshop FAQ's...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40101&p=18147666#p18147666.. courtesy of Ugo.

It looks as if, if you have 11 speed hub with a 10 speed cassette, there should be two spacers - the one with the cassette and a further 1.8mm. thick one..
    "Shimano 10 speed cassettes are actually smaller than 9 speed, as the spacings are narrow and go on a Shimano 8-10 speed cassette with a spacer, which is provided with the cassette (Tiagra does not use the spacer). They also go on the newer 11 speed Shimano freehub, as long as the 1.8 mm spacer (as included with the hub) is used in combination with the tiny spacer provided with the cassette."