Psi for a big guy

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited August 2016 in MTB general
Hello all,

I've googled this a lot but still can't find anything concrete.

I've got a voodoo hoodoo with a maxxis ardent on the rear 27.5x 2.25 and then a maxxis high roller 2 3c on the front 27.5 x 2.3.

Both tyres say a min of 35psi and max 60psi. I've read most people using 25ish psi but I don't think that would work.

Can anyone suggest what I should be running for somewhere like Cannock chase.

I'm 20 stone and running tubes.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try 30psi. If you feel the rim bottoming out then add a bit more. You want the minimum you can get away with. Too much and you won't get any grip.
  • Im currently running 40 rear and 35 fronts.

So even tho it's says min 35 on he tyres it's ok to go below
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I'd run a bit more with tubes to avoid pinch flats, switch to tubeless and you can run lower pressures = more grip
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's fine to go below the stated minimum.

That said with your momentum and running tubed I'd probably start at 35psi at Cannock as there are some sharp edged holes around at the moment.

You could run a little less with the planned High Roller, possible start at 32, as mentioned if you start to feel the tyre going solid against the rim, go up a couple of psi.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's fine to go below the stated minimum.

That said with your momentum and running tubed I'd probably start at 35psi at Cannock as there are some sharp edged holes around at the moment.

You could run a little less with the planned High Roller, possible start at 32, as mentioned if you start to feel the tyre going solid against the rim, go up a couple of psi.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.