480€ for Deore XT+ carbon frame fitness bike - yay or nay?

imperius
imperius Posts: 14
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
I was at my local bike shop today and an employee said he's selling his bike.

It's 3 years old, kalkhoff carbon hybrid frame. I don't know what model and couldn't find any pics. It has Deore XT groupset and he'll replace the handlebars, pedals, seat, chain, basically everything except the main components.

The guy did a lot of longer tours with some hill climbing. But I do know that at least he took care of it with the maintenance and everything.

I tried it for a couple of minutes, couldn't do it for a longer time and it felt really good, plus I expect the Deore xt parts to still have a couple of years of life in them. Compared to a bike that I can get for around the same price that uses Acera or Altus components and an alu frame, I'm kinda leaning towards the used bike.

All of this for 480€. Is that a good deal or not really?

Edit: frame is a hardtail without damage and the forks don't have suspension

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doubt many people in the UK will be able to help. You might try a German site.

I had a quick look but the hipster with an ebike and a latte put me right off.

http://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com/en.html
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imperius
    cooldad wrote:
    Doubt many people in the UK will be able to help. You might try a German site.

I had a quick look but the hipster with an ebike and a latte put me right off.

http://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com/en.html

Yea kalkhoff isn't really a big "traditional" bike company. But I mean a frame is a frame, I expect them to be able to deliver a frame that is usable. I highly doubt anything will be wrong with the frame, even in the long run. My main question is about the components, how the 3 year old deore xt parts will hold up in the future, compared to new Altus/ Acera ones?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cheap stuff often lasts longer. It's cheap because it's heavy and made of steel. Steel doesn't wear as fast as aluminium or carbon.
    After 3 years and lots of miles any groupset will be fairly worn.
  • imperius
    Cheap stuff often lasts longer. It's cheap because it's heavy and made of steel. Steel doesn't wear as fast as aluminium or carbon.
    After 3 years and lots of miles any groupset will be fairly worn.

True. Do you think the worn Deore XT parts will last longer or shorter compared to new Altus/ Acera parts? That's the main thing I'm concerned about
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They will last longer, but you still could be looking at BB, cassette, chainrings, chain and jockey wheels (or replace the bearing in the lower jockey which is easy and costs about £3). You need to look carefully at the wear, if he's a genuine high mileage user then many of those have probably been replaced already so it depends on the life left on each, checking the chain for 'stretch' would be a good move, if it's not worn and working fine then rings and cassette are probably fine as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • imperius
    The Rookie wrote:
    They will last longer, but you still could be looking at BB, cassette, chainrings, chain and jockey wheels (or replace the bearing in the lower jockey which is easy and costs about £3). You need to look carefully at the wear, if he's a genuine high mileage user then many of those have probably been replaced already so it depends on the life left on each, checking the chain for 'stretch' would be a good move, if it's not worn and working fine then rings and cassette are probably fine as well.

Thanks for the tips. I will ask him about the mileage and take a closer look at the components. I do know for sure he did change the chain a couple of times