Would this set up work?

comitchh
comitchh Posts: 6
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
On a CX road frame: Compact 50/34 11 speed Utlegra, with an 11/42 XT cassette with a 8000 long cage derailleur shadow + with a 47T total capacity. I'm just at the 47T capacity so it should work right? Any suggestions on what would be my best front derailleur option, XT or Ultegra? If Ultegra, is there a flat bar shifter that would work with that?
Thanks.

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I'm reasonably sure the 4700 Tiagra flat bar shifter would work with an Ultegra FD, but there's no option but XT or above for the RD, so you'd have mismatched shifters. No idea on MTB cross-compatibility. Maybe straight XT is the way to go on flat bar kit.

I know 9000/6870 di2 hybrids can work, but that's a lot of extra coin.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I'm reasonably sure the 4700 Tiagra flat bar shifter would work with an Ultegra FD, but there's no option but XT or above for the RD, so you'd have mismatched shifters. No idea on MTB cross-compatibility. Maybe straight XT is the way to go on flat bar kit.

I know 9000/6870 di2 hybrids can work, but that's a lot of extra coin.

You can get Ultegra 10-speed flat bar shifters which will work with an Ultegra front mech

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shim ... lack-52859

I specced these on a flat bar build for my grandson. Could have gone for the Tiagra ones mentioned above but could only find them in silver and wanted to keep to the black look for the drive train.

I'm pretty sure however that they Tiagra and Ultegra flat bar shifters will not work with an XT rear derailleur or at least they won't be smooth and reliable if they work at all. These models are designed to work only with the corresponding road front and rear mechs.

As suggested above - why not just go the whole hog and use MTB shifters and mechs
  • Well gentlemen, I did some significant research and here's what I found: there is a Shimano 11 speed flat bar shifter that will work with Ultegra and it is the the RS 700 Ultegra FD. So I'm going to do an Ultegra Compact Crank 50/34 with that shifter, and a long cage XT rear and I'll have to use an XT shifter for that. Function trumps form, but they are both rapid fire shifter set ups and don't look that different. I can't find a MTB derailleur that can handle a 50T front ring is the reason for the mix and match, and since this is being set up as a high end/lightweight road bike/gravel grinder/enduro bike hybrid, the compact crank along with the long cage XT which can handle an 11-42 rear cassette gives me the gear range I'm looking for, 22 speeds, eliminates the need for a triple crank up front, and the only compromise is having the aesthetically less pleasing look of 2 different shifters and possibly the expense of having to buy a set of shifters when I only need one.