Trail bike coil shock

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited September 2016 in MTB general
It's about time someone made a trail bike specific coil shock.
http://m.pinkbike.com/news/cane-creek-d ... -2016.html

As good as my Cane Creek Inline is it'll never be as good as a coil.
One of these, with a ti spring will be going on my Scout.

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've never found any of my more recent air shocks lacking. I'm fairly sure that with recent advances in shock technologies, the largest difference between air and coil is placebo.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    I disagree. As good as modern air shocks are they'll never be as good as a coil.
    Coil springs are much more consistent, more sensitive, they recover better on really harsh terrain and they work better for alpine riding where they become hot.
    I've ridden a Transition Scout with a modified Fox Van coil shock and although the damper wasn't as good as my Cane Creek it was obvious that the spring worked much better.
  • kyle17290
    kyle17290 Posts: 261
    Saw this yesterday, soon as tf get them in im buying one for the mega tr. As you said about time someone made a coil for short to medium travel bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It'll be spot on for a Mega TR
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Interesting I was thinking of swapping the shock on the mega I've just got and was wondering what to buy, this sounds ideal.

Reading the article it mentions a custom steel spring surely a ti spring would be better n save a little weight.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'll be going ti. It will be lighter but at a cost.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Have you bought one of these yet?

I've got my mega tr built up now and a few rides in and the rear shock it's not rubbish but it's not great either.

I'm not a skinny lad so thinking a coil shock will be better for me?
  • It's due in the UK next month.
    I'm going for a Fox Van R with a PUSH MX tune and ti spring instead though. I tried one at the weekend and it's better than my DB coil and I can't imagine the DB inline coil will be any better.