What can I get for £1500ish?

shimanobottombracket
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a full sus MTB. Dont need or want anything too fancy, adjustable rebound damping or that bollox. Do want something well built tho.

Ideally want full length outers and hydraulic disc brakes which have adjustable pad clearances. May settle for cable discs if they can be solid enough. Current full bouncer is 26 inch frame size but is old and worn. Not sure whether to order online (as I did with my current MTB) due to limited choice in my area, but would much, much rather at least sit on a bike and ride round a LBS car park 1st.

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you really want adjustable rebound damping - boardman pro FS would be a good choice for £1500
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Boardman pro would be my choice too @ the £1199 discounted price with enough left for dropper.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... nsion-27-5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You really do want adjustable everything, plus hydraulic brakes, which adjust automatically anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Not gonna be parting any cash with bikes/products associated with Halfords. Previous experience of Halfords products has put me off for life.

I did come across a Giant Trance mentioned in another thread which looks the dogs danglies.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    yt jeffsy
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Trance is excellent. Great frame and good value.
  • JayX2A
    JayX2A Posts: 113
    I am still looking, really want a T130s but cant find one for my £1800 budget.

Boardman does look good - but not many about now!
  • Not gonna be parting any cash with bikes/products associated with Halfords. Previous experience of Halfords products has put me off for life.

I did come across a Giant Trance mentioned in another thread which looks the dogs danglies.
    the boardman is a great bike for the monsy and is hard to beat unless you want second hand
    just buy the bike in its box and build it yourself.

not all the halfords stores are the same, some have good service.
  • JayX2A
    JayX2A Posts: 113
    I'm looking at the Trance 2 2016 which is on offer for £1500.... seem like a good deal?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It is a good deal.
  • Purchased a Specialized StuntJumper for about £1700. Haven't yet done any MTBing on it, but have ridden it along some crappy quality canal towpath (with a hangover :oops: ) and am very impressed with it. Rode it through a canal overflow thingy and the large tyres gave me more confidence to do it, and it didnt slide around too much. Same for some very muddy bits, already a dirty bike that I havent even got home from the shop lol! I was particularly impressed about how planted it felt riding over loose stones/large pieces of gravel. On my commuter bike it feels unstable and jarring. On the SJ it feels grippy and smooth.
    Well pleased and look forward to my next day off to ride it up and down a mountain.

EDIT: Stumpjumper lol!