Camera Lenses Clear in the Rain -

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited September 2016 in Commuting chat
Quick Q for others that use cycling cameras.

Do you cover your lenses in anything to improve water shedding in the rain?
I've got a shimano camera with the glass lens cover, and hit a torrential downpour so it got soaked. Continued to work fine, apart from the lens being absolutely covered in raindrops so unable to record useful data...

Thinking rain-x or similar - any other ideas greatly appreciated!
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use rain-x on my glasses and it seems to work ok.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Asprilla wrote:
    Not used it on glasses before, but when I had the car I avidly applied it, but some plastics don't like the stuff.

Turns out GoPro actively recommend the application - I've asked Shimano for their stance.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Asprilla wrote:
    Not used it on glasses before, but when I had the car I avidly applied it, but some plastics don't like the stuff.

Turns out GoPro actively recommend the application - I've asked Shimano for their stance.

Let us know how Shimano respond. Have got the same camera and would be good to know...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I've had the same however that said the gopro underwater is amazing
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My Virb has a slightly convex lens which helps water dispersal but I always give the lens a wipe when riding if it's raining. Never really though about RainX type liquids on my camera, I've used Halfords own brand on my cheap glasses.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I mostly use a Virb (old model) and have never really thought about it, I may have to give it a go as on the rare occasion I've checked footage in the rain the drops can obscure number plates etc.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Shimano have come back and said it shouldn't be a problem.

I've got loads of bottles of rainrepellent and anti fog after morrisions cleared a store of their motoring section, so will try both.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I have a virb on the front - Not really been an issue in the past perhaps due to convex lense cover as Redvee mentions.

The Fly6 I have on the back was used for the first time today... I'll let you know!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • MrSweary wrote:
    I have a virb on the front - Not really been an issue in the past perhaps due to convex lense cover as Redvee mentions.

The Fly6 I have on the back was used for the first time today... I'll let you know!

The Shimano has a option of convex or flat lens as well, I was having a problem with the convex fitted.
    Possible that the virb has already got a hydrophobic coating applied?
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Quite possibly but I like to think the sheer speed I ride at drives the raindrops off...
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • MrSweary wrote:
    Quite possibly but I like to think the sheer speed I ride at drives the raindrops off...

That was my hope, and at ~10mph i expected some stick , but even at 20+ they remained stuck to the shimano :(