Gear heads, I really need your help with my Hybred build

comitchh
comitchh Posts: 6
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
I bought a Cyclocross Carbon frame with a bb86 bottom bracket and disc only brake configuration. I'm 56 with bad knees and weigh 200 Lbs, but I just did the Pikes Peak Gran Fondo(12.4 miles, 4800 feet of climbing) and Mt. Evans Gran Fondo (28 miles, 6800ft) both topping out over 14,100 feet above sea level=30-40% reduction in oxygen. I did that on my road bike with a triple front (52,39,30) and 36 MTB rear cassette. I wantthe CX because my training climb which I usually do on my MTB is a gravel road, 1500 vertical foot climb with up to 17% gradient.

So, I'm doing a build and need advise on how to get the low gearing I want and need, as well as optimal brake set up. The dilemma...I want to build this with flat rather than drop bars, and I'd like to at least match my 30 front 36 rear gear ratio.
If I use a pure road set up, I'm limited to either to a compact or a triple crank, and a max 32 rear cassette. I also can't use standard road brake lever shifters on a flat bar. In a perfect world I'd have a 50/34 with a 42 rear, 11 speed. Is there a way to mix and match road and MTB gear to get me there? What specific combo of shifters, brake levers and derailleurs in XT/Ultegra might work? If that's not doable, a triple front like I have now, Ultegra I know still makes one, but what shifters can I use it with on a flat bar? Could I go beyond a 36 rear...up to 40 or 42? Would cross chaining (accidentally) 50/42 rip the derailleur or chain. If I go with a pure MTB set up I'm limited to a 48 big ring up front in a triple set up, doable I guess but I'd definitely miss my 52 descending. Will MTB derailleurs even fit the braze on derailleur set up for the front? Then do I do a MTB hydraulic brake set up with MTB levers? Will they fit my prefab road frame? Or use road disc brakes but MTB/Flat bar levers? Where there's a will there's a way hopefully. Your advise would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I don't see the dilemma, if you want flat bars then go for a full MTB drivetrain... why do you want road parts? They are just more expensive. Go full Shimano XT and happy days. If you can't find a braze on FD, use a road one... FD are much of a muchness
    left the forum March 2023
  • Because I want this as primarily a road rig and just looking at the Shimano 8000 11 speed XT, the max front ring is only 40T.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    comitchh wrote:
    Because I want this as primarily a road rig and just looking at the Shimano 8000 11 speed XT, the max front ring is only 40T.

Then don't go 11 speed and stick to good old 9 speed... parts are significantly cheaper and you can get a 48/36/26T front and a 36 T cassette.
    9 speed is the only one that allows you cross contamination between road and MTB parts if you wished to do so
    left the forum March 2023