Seat post crack?

DjangBE
DjangBE Posts: 4
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Hi all,

Very first post here. Replaced my seat post clamp this morning since the old one's wire thread was worn out. After cleaning the frame and tube I discovered something that, to me, seems like some damaged paint. What is your opinion? The line is exactly where the old (Canyon) clamp's border used to be. New one is installed on the picture. Nothing to be seen on the inside of the tube.

IMG_CANYON_0292_DETAIL_ZONDER_KLEM_2.jpg

Updated picture

Cheers,
Jan

Comments

• AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    From my untrained eye that looks like a crack to me.
    I assume its always been torqued up properly?
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Without seeing it 'in the flesh' I'd agree it looks like a crack.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Dowtcha wrote:

Looks likely.

OP, contact Canyon.
  • fuel2000
    fuel2000 Posts: 65
    Get in touch with Canyon, they should give you a new frame no problem, I'm on my 3Rd one! Although this one has been good for 6000 miles now.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Looks like a crack - send photo to Canyon for their opinion
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • DjangBE
    DjangBE Posts: 4
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Indeed, I've send these pictures to Canyon and there investigating them as we speak. I always kept the torque below the quoted maximum on all components. We'll see how this evolves...
  • Final comment:
    Warranty was activated by Canyon based on photos provided. They will replace the frame this week.
  • DjangBE wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Indeed, I've send these pictures to Canyon and there investigating them as we speak. I always kept the torque below the quoted maximum on all components. We'll see how this evolves...

CqgRX65.png

Pretty good, quick customer service from Canyon though...
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • I too am on my third CF SLX frame. Same failure mode as the original poster. All failures have been the same, with a crack noted within a few months of ownership. The first replacement failed in less than 500miles. This time round I proposed a paid for upgrade to the 2016 model, which I have noted has a completely different design, hopefully eliminating this design flaw. That was flatly turned down.
    When building up the frame last night, I noted that the seat post to frame interface is much much tighter on this one.
    I love the bike, however it has been out of action for over 5 months this year, and only done one competitive ride. As such my faith in Canyon has been severely dented, and I won't be returning to them next time I look for a new bike.