shimano alfine brakes help or advice

Timg147
Timg147 Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in The workshop
hi,
I have a fancy pants hybrid / commuter bike fitted with shimano alfine all round. I have a problem that the rear brake does not seem to have any bite to it (unlike the front ). I have tried bleeding it but with no change to the feel of it.
has anyone got any suggestions? I have looked at replacement alfine parts but the price is that high in the UK that it's not worth it. I could by a complete set from abroad and either swap the levers over or just run the the other way round. Alternatively can anyone suggest and good alternatives to the alfine?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So what is actually happening? Does the lever feel right and you simply have no brake effort, or does the lever come back to the bar?

If the lever feels OK and you have no braking it's odds on the pads are contaminated, new pads and degrease the disc thoroughly while the old pads are out (use alcohol).

And keep oils away from the disc in future, no wd40/gt85 sprayed around the rear of the bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.