Which bike

Tomic18
Tomic18 Posts: 3
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi I'm looking for my first road bike (on a budget) and I was looking at the btwin 500 road bike or the triban 3. I'm looking to spend 300 total on a bike and some Lycra I'm open to all suggestions Thanks in advance Tomic

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    £300 for a bike and clothing is pushing it a bit TBH. You might end up wishing you had saved a bit more and bought a slightly better bike. The expression 'buy cheap: buy twice' might come into the equation......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    Yes I was thinking like you at first, however a little help from people on here and the local bike shops and I went for the cannodale in the end. It cost me nearly £600 but its a great bike and really enjoying riding it. For me going from a steel bike to an alloy one with carbon frames ..well I can't believe the difference.

The main reason I went for a more expensive bike was the frame. A decent frame can be upgraded and this is what all the experts were saying.
  • Tomic18
    Tomic18 Posts: 3
    What would be a good bike with an upgradable frame a Specialized allez
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    I found it was your better branded bikes. Really believe you get what you pay for. My Synapse just feels so much smoother and quicker to ride than my previous bike, that's a more basic version aswell, but should I wish to upgrade it, apparently it will take the more advanced systems.

Go in a bike shop, sit on some bikes and talk to the staff. I have to admit I actually found Evans to be really good, loads out on the floor to try and staff who you could ask q's to.

Then did all the same at some other shops and read loads on here, before deciding on the best realistic bike for my needs. Of course after trying carbon and talking about it on here, I wanted that, but then I just reflected and thought what do I need?

If you want sub £300 look in Halfords as they have some reasonable bikes on offer, however don't expect anything to set the world on fire as such.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Triban 500, shorts, jersey, shoes, pedals/cleats & helmet from Decathlon. You'll do it for £350