Changing triple Beone Mistral back to Compact

waltdinghy
waltdinghy Posts: 38
edited August 2016 in Workshop
I hope someone can confirm my plan to change the drive train to a a compact from a Shimano 105 triple with 170 cranks .
Can I retain both brake handles knowing the left one operates the triple front mech which has to be changed for a double i.e 50 34 compact ? I will have to change front mech to cope with only double chain rings.
I will change the chain and replace the rear cassette for 10 speed shimano 105 . At present the bottom bracket contains a triple Fsa omega chain ring and crankset and bottom bracket is sound . Will the bb need to be changed. Would be very grateful for any help .

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Waltdinghy wrote:
    I hope someone can confirm my plan to change the drive train to a a compact from a Shimano 105 triple with 170 cranks .
    Can I retain both brake handles knowing the left one operates the triple front mech which has to be changed for a double i.e 50 34 compact ? I will have to change front mech to cope with only double chain rings.
    I will change the chain and replace the rear cassette for 10 speed shimano 105 . At present the bottom bracket contains a triple Fsa omega chain ring and crankset and bottom bracket is sound . Will the bb need to be changed. Would be very grateful for any help .

The short answer is yes - it can be done relatively easily. You just need to decide whether to use the granny/middle or the middle/big chainring changes on your triple shifters to shift for the compact double.

Some debate over which is best in this thread

viewtopic.php?t=12869808

Weight of opinion seems to favour the granny/middle option and use the limit screws to prevent you over shifting with the "third click" and shipping the chain off the big ring.
  • Thanks so much for your reply and the advice . Am changing the set-up for my wife so as we live in a hilly area of France I am sure she should find the whole process of only having 2 chain rings to select rhe right cog will be a lot easier . Many thanks for your recommendations .