Chain ring advice

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited August 2016 in Workshop
I have a new chain, cassette has no wear, chainrings have no wear. Gears are all fine tuned and front mech fine tuned. But while pedalling I hear a loud click or ping now and again, and I feel a slight movement somewhere from the chain rings. It kind of feels like the chain is finding its way in to better position on the chain rings, but it also feels like slight movement from the chain rings. THe gears and front mech are micro fine tuned and good. I took out the GXP BB last night and cleaned it all down and re greased and the problem is till there. The bearings in the BB also had no noise or resistance. Am I missing something and despite the servicing of the BB it can still be damaged or broke somewhere and its causing this? I checked the chainring bolts and they are fine also. Can someone advise if my chain ring looks bent by this pic?

I have Sram rival cranks with a GXP 68mm english thread.

I noticed the drive side crank has a wave washer with it, could I take this out and see if that helps, or is this really important?

20160817_221603_zpsxouqj84p.jpg
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Sticky chainlink? Have you flexed all of them by hand to feel? Quick-link too if you have one.
  • seanorawe
    mfin wrote:
    Sticky chainlink? Have you flexed all of them by hand to feel? Quick-link too if you have one.

Just checked them and they are fine

S
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Cleat:pedal interface?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The newer GXP LH bearings are 22,2 mm in diam. meanwhile the axle is 22,0 mm.
    Sometimes this causes movement and noises.
    Solution: few turns of teflon tape around the axle where the bearing sits.
    GXP bearings should have no washers and no preload.
  • seanorawe
    Keezx wrote:
    The newer GXP LH bearings are 22,2 mm in diam. meanwhile the axle is 22,0 mm.
    Sometimes this causes movement and noises.
    Solution: few turns of teflon tape around the axle where the bearing sits.
    GXP bearings should have no washers and no preload.

No washers at all? So the wave washer needs to go? I cant remember seeing it before but i had the components swapped to a new frame and i noticed it when i took off the cranks.

When you say run teflon around where the bearinf sits. Is that around the drive side crank where the shaft meets the chainrings, or around the shaft just adter the splined part where the left crank screws on to ?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • keezx
    GXP> no washers , no preload. (on a normal BSA frame)
    The LH bearing is clamped between 24 mm part and crank, so completely fixed.
    Teflon tape on the first part of the axle, 22 mm part to take up the 0,2 mm slack between bearing and axle.
  • seanorawe
    Keezx wrote:
    GXP> no washers , no preload. (on a normal BSA frame)
    The LH bearing is clamped between 24 mm part and crank, so completely fixed.
    Teflon tape on the first part of the axle, 22 mm part to take up the 0,2 mm slack between bearing and axle.

Cheers ill give it a go later
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe
    Can i use electrical tape? I have also sent sram an email. 0.2 of a difference in engineering is shocking. Especially where bearings are concerned. Why should customers have to do this ?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • keezx
    Maybe the 22,2 inner bearings are 7 cents cheaper, only SRAM knows......the older bearings were spot on.
    Most of the times the 0,2 mm is no problem if the crankbolt is tight.
    When my Force crankset developed noises I stumbled on this on de WW forum (sometimes WW is useful....).
    Don't think electrical tape will work, too thick, it should be deformable stuff.