Elite Drivo trainer

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
http://drivo.cc/it

Another in the line of direct drive trainers attempting to take on the likes of the Tacx Neo and Wahoo Kickr.

Supposedly quiet with very accurate power measurement http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/pro ... ner-275534

Comments

• very interested in one of these.
  • I've just sent my Drivo back. Major issues getting to connect to ANT+. Help line was non existent and the Italian technical help line didn't work. After umpteen phone calls to the distributor I just gave up. For a £1200 piece of kit that's supposed to be plug and play I was immensely dissatisfied. Having gone on the Elite forum I wasn't the only one to have issues with software firmware.
    By the looks of a lot of the smart trainers they are too smart for their own good. I think a lot of issues arise from ANT+ and firmware.
    Elite you really need to pull your finger out and get the issues sorted.
    Currently looking at the Neo.
  • Have to say I'm surprised. They seem to otherwise have a good reputation.

I can recommend the Neo. Very nice bit of kit there was a firmware update this week which made it even better.

If you get one get it out and do some light pedalling on it first and listen for a clanking noise. Some units have had problems with internal components coming loose in transit.
  • At £1200 I was surprised to !
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    For £1200 you'd expect it to have all of it's problems sorted before it hit the market
  • To be honest I've done a lot of research over the past few weeks and I'm astounded about the amount of issues people are having with high end priced turbo trainers,wether it be ANT+,firmware, software or even customer complaints.
    I think what causes a lot of problems is the fact a lot of these turbos are bought on line and not in a shop and it's the lack of face to face contact where you can go and discuss your issues with a person.
    I also think ANT+ has had its day.
  • Nowt wrong with ANT+.

I think much of the issue is they are mechanical devices subject to high loads so won't have the reliability we normally associate with electronic gadgets.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    I know this isn't a Kickr thread, but i've had loads of issues with my unit and I'm at the point of exploding with Wahoo's customer service. My unit is 3 years old, so I guess it's out of warrantee, but its been over 5 weeks now of back and forth with their customer services and they are so slow it hurts. You think for a premium priced unit, they would have CS to match, but they haven't. I even paid $154 for a new sensor unit (which took two weeks to arrive) only for it to not work. They said they would refund a week ago and still nothing.
    Such a shame because until I had issues with my unit, I would have recommended a Kickr at the drop of a hat, and I hope they can sort this out, as it's a brilliant piece of kit. I guess there are always going to be issues, regardless of what top of the range trainer you buy.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    gleaney wrote:
    I've just sent my Drivo back. Major issues getting to connect to ANT+. Help line was non existent and the Italian technical help line didn't work. After umpteen phone calls to the distributor I just gave up. For a £1200 piece of kit that's supposed to be plug and play I was immensely dissatisfied. Having gone on the Elite forum I wasn't the only one to have issues with software firmware.
    By the looks of a lot of the smart trainers they are too smart for their own good. I think a lot of issues arise from ANT+ and firmware.
    Elite you really need to pull your finger out and get the issues sorted.
    Currently looking at the Neo.

I had problems getting my Elite Kura to connect with ANT+, but eventually succeeded. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the initial amount of self generated power in the Kura, but the Drivo is electrically powered.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    I'm getting myself more confused now.

I want a direct drive trainer to use in the garage, primarily with TR, never used zwift, will give it a go, but I have no Apple devices in the house, and use a fairly old Tosh big screen laptop for TR and to watch cycling off youtube or eurosport player, so my hardware might well not ge up to zwift.

I currently have a Vortex.

I have pretty much written off the Flux, seeing people on their 3rd trainer, and the max discount out there that I can find is 10%, so £630.

The Neo and Elite Drivo can both be had for £880 ish, so £250 more, but i'm happy to pay that if it's for reliability.

I watched and read a load of reviews on the drivo, and they all seemed pretty much complimentary.

Other pluses for me, are the narrower profile, as I gather some bikes did not fit the Neo, though I think they may have altered the design a bit, and the way the power is measured optically, and allegedly temperature changes can't affect it.
    In my garage, which likely has a range from -5 to +40, that could well be very useful.

But then I read about poor customer support above, and I start to doubt again......
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • StillGoing
    Daniel B wrote:
    I'm getting myself more confused now.

I want a direct drive trainer to use in the garage, primarily with TR, never used zwift, will give it a go, but I have no Apple devices in the house, and use a fairly old Tosh big screen laptop for TR and to watch cycling off youtube or eurosport player, so my hardware might well not ge up to zwift.

I currently have a Vortex.

I have pretty much written off the Flux, seeing people on their 3rd trainer, and the max discount out there that I can find is 10%, so £630.

The Neo and Elite Drivo can both be had for £880 ish, so £250 more, but i'm happy to pay that if it's for reliability.

I watched and read a load of reviews on the drivo, and they all seemed pretty much complimentary.

Other pluses for me, are the narrower profile, as I gather some bikes did not fit the Neo, though I think they may have altered the design a bit, and the way the power is measured optically, and allegedly temperature changes can't affect it.
    In my garage, which likely has a range from -5 to +40, that could well be very useful.

But then I read about poor customer support above, and I start to doubt again......

I fired an email to Elite when I initially struggled to connect ANT+ on the Kura and got a reply back within 24 hours. Tacx never reacted that fast. You have to allow for the translation problems that there may be with both Tax and Elite.

I use the My E Training app through an Android box plugged into a 40" display monitor that I picked up cheap. I plug the ANT+ dongle into the Android box and connect to the ethernet. I'm sure Zwift can be downloaded the same way via Google Play?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Elite, Wahoo and Tacx all have poor reputations for customer support. So I would say they are all equal on that front, so choose the trainer which looks best to you.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks gents,

I have now placed an order on Amazon for the Neo for £865, but not in stock for a month or two, so easily cancelled.
    OR I can get Evans to price match the Drivo and land that one for £803, which is in stock now, but then I am not in a hurry, the Vortex will do for the moment.

Which to go for?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • StillGoing
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks gents,

I have now placed an order on Amazon for the Neo for £865, but not in stock for a month or two, so easily cancelled.
    OR I can get Evans to price match the Drivo and land that one for £803, which is in stock now, but then I am not in a hurry, the Vortex will do for the moment.

Which to go for?

Are you sure they will price match Athlete Shop? Their policy states UK retail. Athlete Shop are Dutch based.
  • daniel_b
    philthy3 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks gents,

Which to go for?

Are you sure they will price match Athlete Shop? Their policy states UK retail. Athlete Shop are Dutch based.

I rang them, gave them the web address, she put me on hold, and went away to check, I presume with her manager, and came back to say that yes they would.
    I've also heard other people on here say they have had them price match them on the phone, but not via an online price match request.

Maybe I should just sit tight and stick with the Neo....... DC Rainmaker seems to rate it as his No 1 trainer I notice.
    I'll watch a load of review videos in the next few days, and then make a decision.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • StillGoing
    I don't know what the Neo packages are like, but having had 2 Tacx smart trainers, I'm instantly finding the My E Training software infinitely more user friendly and easier to navigate through. Of course if you just intend using Zwift or Trainerroad etc, the manufacturer software isn't an issue.

I've emailed Evans to pose the question.
  • StillGoing
    Well blow me. Turns out they do price match with Athlete Shop. Just negotiating getting some money back.
  • daniel_b
    philthy3 wrote:
    Well blow me. Turns out they do price match with Athlete Shop. Just negotiating getting some money back.

That's great news!

On all counts :D

How much do you end up recouping if you don't mindme asking?

When you mention the 'My E traiing software' is that the Elite software as opposed to the Tacx stuff?

I think that is the software that could allow you to ride your own, or potentially other peoples videos that are accompanied by elevation stats - not sure if I would want that capabaility or not, could be useful I guess, especially IF there is a useful resource out there of other peoples videos.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • StillGoing
    Daniel B wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

That's great news!

On all counts :D

How much do you end up recouping if you don't mindme asking?

When you mention the 'My E traiing software' is that the Elite software as opposed to the Tacx stuff?

I think that is the software that could allow you to ride your own, or potentially other peoples videos that are accompanied by elevation stats - not sure if I would want that capabaility or not, could be useful I guess, especially IF there is a useful resource out there of other peoples videos.

Roughly £72.

Yes the Elite software. There are various inbuilt programs for training and the Conconi test, but it is so simple to create your own training program on it I managed it in minutes creating specific targeted intervals. It also gives you 3 screen options giving much clearer and relevant information than the Tacx screens.
  • daniel_b
    I'm more confused now - Shane video review man has replied to my query about which one is the better choice with:
    The Neo is good... really good. But... that squashy pedal stroke on simulated hills is a real killer for me. It's an edge case sure... but something trainers with flywheels don't suffer from. It's difficult to weight pricing into the score I dish out, pricing is different around the world. It's factored into if it's really cheap, or really expensive :)

Anyone come across this 'feature' that he mentions, and I assume it would not affect Trainer Road anyway.

I think I am mostly decided on the Neo now, for the extra £65 - I mailed their support, and they reckon 99% of bikes will fit their newer slimmer design case, so can't see that being an issue.
    And it's black.
    And it has LEDs.......

Unfortunately, or fortunately, seems like I will likely have 4-8 weeks to make a final decision - assuming Athlete shop keep stock at £888 of course.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • jif1969
    jif1969 Posts: 29
    Have you considered the Cycleops Hammer, I managed to get a good deal on one just over a month ago and been very pleased with it. It very well built and power accuracy and responsiveness is good, also it's black with LEDs! They're £1079 currently on Chain Reaction so £971 with BC discount (they were £999 when I got mine and managed to get the BC discount and did count via my employer which made it cheaper than I could find the Neo, Kickr or Drivo)
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2017
    Jif1969 wrote:
    Have you considered the Cycleops Hammer, I managed to get a good deal on one just over a month ago and been very pleased with it. It very well built and power accuracy and responsiveness is good, also it's black with LEDs! They're £1079 currently on Chain Reaction so £971 with BC discount (they were £999 when I got mine and managed to get the BC discount and did count via my employer which made it cheaper than I could find the Neo, Kickr or Drivo)

Hello,

I did briefly, partly (ok mostly) because it is black AND yellow with LEDs, which makes it uber cool, and sounds like you got a good deal, but for me it will end up being over £100 notes more than the Neo, and £170 more than the Drivo.

I could get 10% at Evans too, so same price at either retailer.

What would you have gone for if the Neo had been cheaper?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    So you went for the Drivo over the Neo? Or still undecided?
  • daniel_b
    joey54321 wrote:
    So you went for the Drivo over the Neo? Or still undecided?

Hi Joey,

I placed an order for the Neo yesterday, when Amazon had it for £865 (Expect it will be that again soon; currently all the scam listings have been purged, but they will be back soon enough, and then I guess the genuine price will come down again at some point) but they won't have stock for 1-3 months, so up until that point I can easily cancel it IF something makes me think the Drivo is a better deal, but I think at this point in time that seems unlikely.

If, in that time, the Drivo is no longer available for £888 from Athleteshop, then the decision is made for me, and I just sit tight and wait for the arrival of the Neo.

Are you in the same indoor trainer boat?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Yes, I like the price from Amazon but waiting up to 3 months would be a bit annoying.
  • daniel_b
    joey54321 wrote:
    Yes, I like the price from Amazon but waiting up to 3 months would be a bit annoying.

Someone else, on here or on FB had to wait 6 weeks - and I am in the lucky position of having a Vortex already, so no huge hurry for me.
    If I was in a hurry, I think it would be the Drivo all day long.

EDIT: Holy moly, Amazon have just mailed to change the expected delivery date from April or May, to March 15th!
    Looks like the decision is almost certainly made then!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • jif1969
    jif1969 Posts: 29
    I probably would have gone for the Neo as was originally considering a Flux, however there was nowhere in stock with a good price at the time. I then got the chance of getting the Hammer for £775 so it was a no brainer.
  • daniel_b
    Jif1969 wrote:
    I probably would have gone for the Neo as was originally considering a Flux, however there was nowhere in stock with a good price at the time. I then got the chance of getting the Hammer for £775 so it was a no brainer.

£775 is a VERY good price, I likely would have gone for that as well at that amount. Whack another 30% on though, combined with a decent deal on the Neo, and it gets more tricky.

Mine is now preparing for dispatch.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18