Ventoux Gearing

Lucas2513
Lucas2513 Posts: 6
edited September 2016 in Road general
Hi, i will be tackling Ventoux from Bedoin in September and would like to know peoples thoughts on gearing for the hill?

I am currently running 52/36 x 11/28 seems to get me up my local climbs no problem including a couple of short 13% kicks. I am a relatively fit guy, not a natural climber but not slow either, do you think the above gearing will be fine?

Comments

• Lucas2513 wrote:
    Hi, i will be tackling Ventoux from Bedoin in September and would like to know peoples thoughts on gearing for the hill?

What is the biggest 'hill' you've ridden before?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Lucas2513 wrote:

What is the biggest 'hill' you've ridden before?

This will be the biggest climb by a long shot, we don't have much around Edinburgh in the way of long steep steady hills.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I get up my local climbs ok on a 39/27. For ventoux I had 34/28 and at some points wish I had a 32
  • Garry H wrote:
    I get up my local climbs ok on a 39/27. For ventoux I had 34/28 and at some points wish I had a 32

Haha....yeah i suppose i should consider a compact rather than the semi-compact?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    The climb through the forest from Bedoin to Chalet Reynard is unremittingly hard. I had to honk for long stretches on 34x29.
  • As with all the above, try and get at least a 34-28 if you can, but a 32 at the back would not be too small a gear either.

Climbing an actual mountain is nothing like any other type of climbing and none of the hills in the UK really compare IMO, the sheer length and grade is unrelenting and having a small gear will at least make the experience a little more comfortable.

Good luck and enjoy it!
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Definitely agree with all the comments above. Went to the French Alps for the first time in June with 34x28, when I go next time I will put on a 32 at the back.
    Made it up all the climbs but would have been nice to have been able to spin a higher cadence.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Agree 34-28 (31") is sensible gearing for a first trip to the alps (cue "Ventoux is not in the Alps brigade"). You'd need a 30T (or bigger) cog in the back to get 31" on a semi-compact. Even if you had to buy a new long cage RD, it may work out cheaper than changing the chainrings to go that route.

I was fine on 34-28 this past May, while a mate of mine came to a total stop grinding up on 39-25 above Chalet Reynard. But I am pretty tolerant of fairly low cadences and am perfectly happy to dance on the pedals indefinitely. Pure spinnistas may well want to go lower.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    I think it depends here really... Ventoux from the Bedoin side is quite a tempo climb, so when you're in a rhythm it's pretty easy to stay with it without having to keep changing around with your gears.

I'd say if you've got 52/36 and 11/28, you'll be fine, but I guess it depends on your ability. I've had a 53/39 and 11/28 on Ventoux and in the alps without many drama's (maybe the odd cry elsewhere) and you'll find yourself pedalling the climb at a better rate because 1) It's a beautiful climb if the skies are clear and 2) You'll find yourself wanting to be competitive with yourself on the climb, it happens to everyone.

Good luck, it's a beautiful ride to do.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Good thread, I'm doing Ventoux next summer and was wondering about gearing. Currently got 34x29 which I think might be a bit of a grind in the steeper forest sections. I do have the option of fitting the new Campag 32T cassette with the Wolftooth roadlink - might be worth a look.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 283
    I did it a few weeks ago managed it with 36x28 as my lowest but it was very rare i was out of that combination from the start of the forest until the summit and with that cadence was down around 58 for the steeper forest sections
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Hmmm.
    Based on a recent trip through the Pyrenees, I'd say 34x30.
    I had 34x29 as a smallest gear but found myself grinding even with that.
    Guy riding beside me felt 34x32 was too spinny so I conclude that 34x30 is the perfect compromise.
    Although arguing between 34x29 & 34x30 really is splitting hairs.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    JSCL wrote:

I'd say if you've got 52/36 and 11/28, you'll be fine

I agree 36x28 should be fine. I last rode it on 39x28 and it was ok from the Bedoin side, the steep bits are not that long. I would ride some of the big alpine cols on a 34x28 for comparison.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    davidof wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

I agree 36x28 should be fine. I last rode it on 39x28 and it was ok from the Bedoin side, the steep bits are not that long. I would ride some of the big alpine cols on a 34x28 for comparison.

Given that the Bedoin climb is at least as taxing as 'the big alpine cols' , I'm bemused as to why a 39 is OK for Ventoux when you use a 34 in the rest of the alps................... :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Ventoux is a beast.

I rode it this summer on a 34-32 and was grateful for this low gear. It was hardest up to Chalet Reynard and I pretty well used it all the way. From there to the summit I rode a lot of the final 1/3rd in 34-28. Could I have ridden it all in 34-28? - possibly but I would not have enjoyed it one bit and the 32 gives you the option of spinning a bit more.

I kept the mid length cage on the 5800 rear dérailleur with no issues

I rode the Alps last year with a 34-30 and that was OK - getting knocked off late 2015 meant I was not nearly as fit this summer in the Alps and needed the 32 tooth.

I also have a bike with 36-28 and I would never have got up on that gearing

Its all about your personal fitness of course and the usual caveats apply
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I've just ridden Ventoux on a 34x30, frankly I wish I'd had mountain bike gearing because for agonisingly long stretches I was going at 5/6 kph!! I didn't believe it was possible to ride that slowly and still stay upright.
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    I did Ventoux in June and had 52/36 at front and 11-32 cassette at the back...........it was nearly enjoyable - ha ha ha!
  • aberdeenal
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    I did Ventoux in June and had 52/36 at front and 11-32 cassette at the back...........it was nearly enjoyable - ha ha ha!

Oh - I had to change my rear cage to a long one too.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    You could just change your 36 for a 34 for a cheap option, but you won't be able to use your last two smallest sprockets when on the 34, as they will start catching on the 52. I ran a setup like this for a while.
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    davidof wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

I agree 36x28 should be fine. I last rode it on 39x28 and it was ok from the Bedoin side, <b>the steep bits are not that long</b>. I would ride some of the big alpine cols on a 34x28 for comparison.

Apart from the 9km section just below Chalet Reynard at over 9%
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I did the Cingles du Ventoux on 34-50 11-27. Bedoin was first and it was hard but fine and Im an old man
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I did the climb from Bedoin last month on a 34/29 gearing which was absolutely fine despite the strong winds towards the summit (it was the day before the Tour stage).

There were a couple of points in the forest section up to Chalet Reynard where I'd have preferred a smaller gear to spin at a slightly higher cadence but that might just be a personal preference.

The day the Tour climbed it I saw quite a few kids going through the forest section without any problems - I doubt they'll have been too worried about gearing! :wink:
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Mercia Man wrote:
    The climb through the forest from Bedoin to Chalet Reynard is unremittingly hard. I had to honk for long stretches on 34x29.

The rest of the climb from Chalet Reynard to the peak is no picnic either!!

And the final bend to the top was the single worst moment I have ever experienced on a bike.
  • Awesome advice from everyone thanks , i think i shall go with a GS rear mech and a 11-32 cassette, thought about going with a compact upfront but i have Cannondale spiderings and would be silly expensive to change. So that should keep me covered...famous last words!
  • AberdeenAl wrote:
    AberdeenAl wrote:

I have taken your advise! Ordered a long rear mech and a 11-32 cassette! Cant wait for the trip!
  • aberdeenal
    Lucas2513 wrote:
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    AberdeenAl wrote:

I have taken your advise! Ordered a long rear mech and a 11-32 cassette! Cant wait for the trip!

:D
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Well, everyone talks about a 34 tooth front ring, but FWIW TA Specialties(France) makes a 33 tooth front ring. Granted it's only one tooth but...... I've had one for years and always use it going to the big mountains. No problems. Now I know I'm getting old these days but, dammit, every little bit helps.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I'm doing this sometime soon and whilst I am reasonable up most surrey hills etc, I think it wise to maybe go compact and have a bailout gear. 34 x30 is probably as low as I'd want to go, but I've been advised by clubmates that a 32 is never a bad idea.

its the amount of time grovelling up the climb that I worry about.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    philbar72 wrote:
    I'm doing this sometime soon and whilst I am reasonable up most surrey hills etc, I think it wise to maybe go compact and have a bailout gear. 34 x30 is probably as low as I'd want to go, but I've been advised by clubmates that a 32 is never a bad idea.

I had the same fear about doing the Pyrenees so I basically took it easy to pace myself as I had multiple climbs over multiple days. 32x29 at around 8-10km/h and managed to keep my heart rate at around 140bpm. It won't be hard if you have the right gears and take it easy. Or, you could race up. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    PBlakeney wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

I had the same fear about doing the Pyrenees so I basically took it easy to pace myself as I had multiple climbs over multiple days. 32x29 at around 8-10km/h and managed to keep my heart rate at around 140bpm. It won't be hard if you have the right gears and take it easy. Or, you could race up. :wink:

No racing for me, leave that to the *pro's* :)