Mixing SRAM Red crank to Dura-ace group

Kiddfoes
Kiddfoes Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Hi Sirs/Madams
My apologies if this has been a topic before. I'm new to road biking and new to this forum. Always have been a mountain guy. I bought a new road bike last month with an entry level Shimano drivetrain. I started upgrading from Tiagra to Dura-ace mechanical group. Now it boils down in getting the crankset to complete my drivetrain upgrade. I'm leaning towards in getting a SRAM Red 22 cranks. To me it looks better, a little lighter and cheaper than Dura Ace. I've read several topics all over the Internet about Shimano/SRAM cranks and drivetrain compatibilities but I didn't got any concrete verification about Shimano Dura-ace 9000 group with SRAM Red 22 cranks combination.
Any suggestions if I can slap a SRAM red 22 cranks in my Dura-ace groups? Will the shifting precision be affected if I have a dura-ace front derailleur? Any advice will be highly appreciated.
Thank you so much

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,520
    should be ok, there's no finesse/precision involved in front mech operation, they just shove the chain

compared to the sram yaw fd, maybe with the da one you will unable to tune out chain rub with extreme cross chaining, but you shouldn't really be cross chaining like that anyway so it's not really a problem
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Remember there are plenty of cranks from manufacturers (Rotor for one example) which don't make mechs, people have no bother with these. It will be fine.
  • sungod wrote:
    should be ok, there's no finesse/precision involved in front mech operation, they just shove the chain

compared to the sram yaw fd, maybe with the da one you will unable to tune out chain rub with extreme cross chaining, but you shouldn't really be cross chaining like that anyway so it's not really a problem

Thanks! Is the Sram RED Yaw FD compatible with Dura-Ace 9000 shifters?
  • mfin wrote:
    Remember there are plenty of cranks from manufacturers (Rotor for one example) which don't make mechs, people have no bother with these. It will be fine.

Thanks for the input :idea:
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Kiddfoes wrote:
    Thanks! Is the Sram RED Yaw FD compatible with Dura-Ace 9000 shifters?

No, different cable pull. TBH if you are thinking along these lines you are over-thinking it and may be heading for a Frankenbike.....

The real world difference between chainsets is minor. If the DA one is financially a stretch an Ultegra one will be a visual match with the remaining shimano group and function as well as the DA at a more reasonable price point but if you are set on a SRAM Red chainset just run it with the remaining shimano gruppo.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D