Giant Defy or Contend

Bluejuice
Bluejuice Posts: 23
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
I've just about got the green light to buy my first road bike. After trying a friend's Defy 1, I was all set on that but now I've just seen the Alloy defy series is about to be replaced by the Giant Contend.

Based on the quote from bike radar, I'm assuming there's no reason for me to hold out for the Contends becoming available.

"Geometry-wise the Contend and Defy are extremely similar. In fact, they share the same head angle, seat angle, reach, and stack through all six sizes, with the only real difference being the Contend's 10mm shorter chainstays and, in turn, shorter wheelbase. "

The Giant defy 1 and Contend SL1 look the same apart from frame.

I'm guessing its a bit earlier to get any advice on this, but input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Are you sure that the Contend range is replacing the Defy bikes? I thought that they were new additions to Giant's road bike range. The Contend SL 1 has internal gear cable routing and an internal fame integrated seat post clamp, which accounts for the different top tube, seat tube, seat stay interface, as compared to the Defy.

As you say the Contend uses the Defy geometry married to the TCR shorter rear triangle, presumably to give quicker acceleration. That is what Giant are claiming in their marketing blurb.

You can buy a discounted Defy 1 now, if you can find one the correct size or wait for the release of the 2017 model bikes, which should be at end of August, or wait for the subsequent reviews of the Contend bikes.
  • The Contend is definitely replacing the Defy series (in alloy only). The carbon version will stay on as the Defy range.
  • Thanks for the replies, been away and had missed these.

The alloy Defy is being discontinued and replaced with the contend.

I'm not sure if the Contend is "better" and that this isnt just a marketing ploy as the alloy defys may have been taking sales away from the composite defys.

Any one ridden a Contend?