The what bike do I need/what should I buy question

JayX2A
JayX2A Posts: 113
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
I have been trying to decide on a new bike for ages (hence previous threads) but I keep stalling as I really don’t know what kind of bike would suit my riding.

I currently have a Saracen Mantra and rather spend the money on upgrades (gears, dropper, tyres etc etc) I am in a position to upgrade.

I keep going between HT and FS and then over thinking things.

My riding in mainly bridle ways, red routes with plenty of roots and rocks along the way, long open fields, fast flowing downhills and pretty long climbs. I do not do any tricks, jumps (well tiny ones on small bumps lol) and do not attend (or intend to) go to any trail centres.
The bike routes over the south downs are pretty varied – mostly red but the odd bit of black that I have not ventured on.

So my question is… FS or HT and then what kind of travel? I am thinking that anything between 120mm and 140mm is about right and anything over is overkill (especially on the climbs.

As mentioned on a FS thread, max budget is £1600.

HT in consideration are the Bird Zero TR, Whyte 905 or seeing what the new Mantra is like.
FS in consideration are Trek Fuel, Specialized Camber and Giant Trance.

I know everyone is different and the split between HT and FS will be apparent! FS sounds good for comfort (I’m getting older) but I do enjoy my HT and low maintenance (as this is not my strong point).

Comments

• chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    A trance will be fine on that type of riding. Full suss isn't all about huge drops, gap jumps and massive rock gardens. They give a lot more grip on rough, stony or rooty trails and also on technical climbs.

But a 905 or a Zero would be equally excellent, just in a slightly different way.

They are all great bikes, I'd just pick one and crack on with it.