How much will aero wheels and racing tyres improve my performance?

b. 1998
b. 1998 Posts: 88
edited August 2016 in Road general
So ive gotten past the stage of being a newbie, and have a 12kg bike with alloy wheels which are pretty heavy, and 30 TPI tyres (which i used mainly for commuting to school as they were basically 100% puncture proof)

Ive bought a zipp front wheel aero 60mm deep tyres with a pair of racing wheels with high TPI etc.

How will my speed increase say i average 250W at 17mph on my older setup.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    b. 1998 wrote:
    So ive gotten past the stage of being a newbie, and have a 12kg bike with alloy wheels which are pretty heavy, and 30 TPI tyres (which i used mainly for commuting to school as they were basically 100% puncture proof)

Ive bought a zipp front wheel aero 60mm deep tyres with a pair of racing wheels with high TPI etc.

If you need 250 Watt to go at 17 mph, I would say you have a problem right there

do you use one of these by any chance? :wink:
    pluie-velo.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • b. 1998
    b. 1998 wrote:

If you need 250 Watt to go at 17 mph, I would say you have a problem right there

do you use one of these by any chance? :wink:
    pluie-velo.jpg
    Lol :) i used to actually do 250W at 17mph. My school was at the top of the hill. Would average 20mph before the hill and it'd shoot my speed right down.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    b. 1998 wrote:
    Lol :) i used to actually do 250W at 17mph. My school was at the top of the hill. Would average 20mph before the hill and it'd shoot my speed right down.
    What happened to the school - did it fall down the hill? ;)

The way your speed will increase is depedant on your aerodynamics more than that of the bike - 250w for 17mph on the flat is diabolical - hence why you were asked if you use a screen.

You'd actually go faster for less effort if you (removed the screen! and) put aero bars on and adapted your position - but that's not the right answer for a road bike.

Aero accessories are more beneficial at higher speeds - plenty of google results if you want to search - but the only definitive answer for you is to get out there and try it. If it's not fast enough - then consider your position on the bike and your own fitness ..

ps - how were you measuring power? If it was anything other than power meter derived then you can ignore it - it's fiction ...
  • b. 1998
    Slowbike wrote:
    b. 1998 wrote:
    What happened to the school - did it fall down the hill? ;)

The way your speed will increase is depedant on your aerodynamics more than that of the bike - 250w for 17mph on the flat is diabolical - hence why you were asked if you use a screen.

You'd actually go faster for less effort if you (removed the screen! and) put aero bars on and adapted your position - but that's not the right answer for a road bike.

Aero accessories are more beneficial at higher speeds - plenty of google results if you want to search - but the only definitive answer for you is to get out there and try it. If it's not fast enough - then consider your position on the bike and your own fitness ..

ps - how were you measuring power? If it was anything other than power meter derived then you can ignore it - it's fiction ...
    Thanks. Will try my bike today. Had to wait a bit since my presta valve wasnt long enough for the deep rims.
    Yeah i use a garmin vector and edge 1000. What would you say is a better speed for 250W?
  • ugo.santalucia
    I have a Maserati road bike that weighs 4.9 Kg... it comes fitted with an aero-press that makes a very decent espresso, while you are out in the great outdoors
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    b. 1998 wrote:

You've bought the 'go faster' (sic) kit - so fit the wheels and go out there and see for yourself. Prepare to be disappointed though.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Your school must be at the top of one long steep hill or you didn't average 20mph for very long beforehand for your average speed to drop so dramatically to 17mph.

Personally I'd have spent my money on a better bike rather than Vectors & Edge 1000.

If you average 250W & only achieve 17mph it must be a lumpy commute.
  • You'll probably knock a minute or two off your ride
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    What are you doing buying zip wheels for a 12kg bike. I'd spend the money on a better/lighter bike first.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    it should be clear by now that this is not a genuine thread... :-(
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Can we please have a picture of this 12kg, single aero wheeled, power meter equipped machine?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    drlodge wrote:
    What are you doing buying zip wheels for a 12kg bike. I'd spend the money on a better/lighter bike first.

A 12 kg bike "holds the speed" much better than a 8 kg bike.
  • Your bike will still be heavy with the new wheels.
  • Mattymurda wrote:

That's actually a really interesting video. I've always discounted buying flash wheels, but that has made me think. In some scenarios that would make a big difference to race results.
  • ajmitchell
    ajmitchell Posts: 203
    Here is a real world comparison of TT bike & wheels vs non-TT bike and wheels for a beginner at the same watts as you mentioned: 250w. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M644l-iF87w The difference is about 2-4kph @ 250w

From the wheels alone you are looking at about 1-2kph difference going to spoked aero wheels from alum open pro type. Slightly more with rear disc/front carbon trispoke. You can also model this for yourself by collecting basic ride data (eg TCX file) and upload it to best bike split and then change the wheels in bike setup.