Which Helmet?

dannbodge
dannbodge Posts: 1,152
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello.

I've been riding for a couple of years now using a cheap MET helmet that I bought from halfords after I bought my bike.

Now I've been doing more and more riding I want to get a new helmet and don't know which to get (current one isn't very comfy and doesn't have enough ventilation)

I was looking at the Kask Mojito, Kask Infinity and Lazer Z1 as I can get a fairly good deal on them.

However I saw Planet X had released a couple of new "Carnac" ones and with their sale they are ridiculously cheap.

Has anyone used a Carnac one before or know of anywhere there may be reviews etc as I'm now undecided across 5 rather than 3.

Comments

• Also worth adding any 'MIPS' helmet to your buy list
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Giro Aeon is one of the lightest on the market, with a good fit and often on offer at a "reasonable" price. If you cycle long distance a light helmet helps your neck feeling less sore
    left the forum March 2023
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    Helmet is one of the few bike things I'd *never* buy on-line without knowing exactly which model and size to buy. You have to try them on for fit.

I can't wear anything made by Kask, Bell, or POC, just the wrong shape entirely for my head. Giro are OK, Lazer are good, and even a Scott branded one was quite comfy.

Try them, and buy from your LBS, get some help with making sure they fit and are adjusted properly for you.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Wot he said. Fit, above all else!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dannbodge
    I was planning on trying on all the ones I could, but finding somewhere that stocks them round here is a bit tricky.
  • dannbodge
    Just been down to my local cycle surgery and tried on a few helmets

The kask not comfy at all, except for the protone which is far too expensive.

The Giro Aeon and Synthe however are incredible. I never knew a helmet could be so comfortable
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Just been down to my local cycle surgery and tried on a few helmets

The kask not comfy at all, except for the protone which is far too expensive.

The Giro Aeon and Synthe however are incredible. I never knew a helmet could be so comfortable

Yep, Aeon is a good fit and very light... as I said above... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    If possible try a Met Rivale.Better fit than a Mojito.Very light and excellent ventilation.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Another vote for try before you buy, if it's not stocked locally then forget about it, not worth it.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Gozzy wrote:
    Another vote for try before you buy, if it's not stocked locally then forget about it, not worth it.
    ^^This.
    I find the Giro Synthe/Foray straps don't sit flat or comfortable around the ears and face, although it is light and the main bit on your head does sit comfy. I also have a Specialized Chamonix which is really comfy and light, 245gms on digital scales.
  • I'm also looking for a mid range helmet (don't want to spend more than £70) but i've got a huge head. Would like something as streamlined as possible. Anyone got any recommendations for low profile models? Will aim to get down to a shop and try them on before I buy obviously.
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    Specialized? I tried loads of makes - Kask, Giro, Lazer, Met, POC - before I found one that remotely fitted and felt ok (I have a large and quite roundish head). Went with a Specialized Propero 2 in the end at £63. I especially liked the strap detail where the front and back parts are one piece and the chin strap is joined so that it all sits flat and not twisted. Some helmets twice this price still make a mess of this.
  • dannbodge
    I never actually tried the straps on any of them, so may have to go back and see what they are like.
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    Helmet is one of the few bike things I'd *never* buy on-line without knowing exactly which model and size to buy. You have to try them on for fit.

I can't wear anything made by Kask, Bell, or POC, just the wrong shape entirely for my head. Giro are OK, Lazer are good, and even a Scott branded one was quite comfy.

Try them, and buy from your LBS, get some help with making sure they fit and are adjusted properly for you.

Buy as many as you want from Wiggle, keep the one you want and send the others back, free postage no brainer
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    edited August 2016
    I have 4 helmets (bit of an obsession with me) and have bought all based on how they looked and due to the fact that none of them are the popular brands that everyone else owns. All were bought online without being able to try on first. My head size is 57.5cm and so I buy helmets with a max allowable size of 58cm to ensure the helmets are neat and un-mushroom like.

1. Uvex Ultrasonic - very light (210g) and comfortable with the best strap/retention system I have come across also very neat and I regularly get asked what brand/model it is as its so neat and tidy.
    2. Ekoi Fast II again very light at 230g, looks good and is very comfortable.
    3. Briko Fuoco, heavier at 278g but is by far the best looking helmet on me with fantastic padding/mesh insert and is extremely comfortable but a little too warm for warm summer days and is best suited to cooler spring/autumn wear.
    4. BBB Kite, very light at 225g, comfortable and very neat and tidy looking. Its my crappy weather helmet and the cheapest of the bunch.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I also found Kask helmets a little uncomfortable and ended up with a Giro Savant. I've had it for about 4-5 years now and recently tried on a Specialized Airnet which was also very comfortable. Depending on your budget you could check that out, there is a new Specialized Prevail coming out in October so there are some good deals to be had on the current version too.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I really like the Kask helmets - a nice fit for me and cheaper than the Giro helmets.

I did have Giro back int the day, but now they seem to be getting more and more expensive with each release.
  • dannbodge
    Went back to my LBS and tried them all on again.

The mojito was more comfortable than I remember but still now where near the Giro synthe, aeon or foray.

So took advantage of the ribble 20% off and got a new Giro Aeon on order. I would have loved the Synthe but I can justify £170 on a helmet