Help! Devinci/evil/santa cruz

will1984
will1984 Posts: 13
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help, advise and share your experience. I'm looking for a new full sus bike and I'm well and truly stuck. I live in France in the Pyrenees normally but I'm living and working in Canada at the moment. I'm based in Saskatchewan, not many mountains but will be in British Columbia regularly so I'm hoping to make the most of the excellent trails there. I've kinda narrowed it down to three bikes at the moment, the devince Troy carbon, Santa Cruz 5010 and the evil insurgent which I suspect is more bike than I need, but so pretty. The 5010 seems quite practical as Saskatchewan is pretty flat so I could get out for some long rides here. The devince seems like the middle ground between the other two and is a lot cheaper and the evil just looks awesome.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It would help to provide links to the bikes you're looking at as different markets can get different specs, it also saves everyone trying to help going searching for links instead of the one person asking for help!

Not really my kind of bike so I'll leave it to others to comment more fully.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Evil have reliability issues and their aftersales is not the greatest. The 5010 v2 is would be a best option IMO out of the 3 options and would cover 90% or riding needs. Transition Scout could be worth a look as well.

Another option would be to look into mid travel 29ers as these are efficient over long distances but still hApply to mix it up in the rough stuff.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Scout is awe but the 5010 comes close and I believe Santa Cruz are good value in Canada.
    Mid travel 29ers are good if you're light, wheel strength can be an issue unless you spend a lot on a decent set.