30 > 28tooth chainring - worth the change?

nickyhoward55
nickyhoward55 Posts: 148
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening,

Im struggling with some steep climbs on my 1x11 (GX) set up.

Would dropping from a 30 tooth to 28th tooth front chain ring make much difference?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The gear ratio difference will be the equivalent to about half a gear ratio at the rear, depending on how much of an issue you have that could be just enough to make the difference or not, only you will know!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Have you not thought of trying an oval chain ring?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Maybe try some leg strength exercises.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or get a granny ring.

I love my granny.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    swod1 wrote:
    Even the manufacturers say they are only worth about 1%, so versus a typical ratio change between gears of over 10% probably won't make much difference!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    Even the manufacturers say they are only worth about 1%, so versus a typical ratio change between gears of over 10% probably won't make much difference!

I meant more about helping on climbing hills more than gear ratios.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I love my granny to.

Why struggle, just get the gears that let you get on with riding. I have 24/38 at the front and 11-36 at the rear. It gives top end speed and climbs up walls. I do xc riding on natural trails and it copes fine with mountain trails.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kajjal wrote:
    I love my granny to.

Why struggle, just get the gears that let you get on with riding. I have 24/38 at the front and 11-36 at the rear. It gives top end speed and climbs up walls. I do xc riding on natural trails and it copes fine with mountain trails.

But, like me, you probably have a mighty brain that can cope with multiple shifters.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools