My First Week Cycling

NiceGuy85
NiceGuy85 Posts: 6
edited August 2016 in Commuting general
Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know how my first week of cycling went.

A little under 2 months ago I posted asking for some advice on which bike to purchase for commuting. After much deliberation and multiple trips to cycle shops I decided on the following.

Giant Rapid 2 Hybrid Bike

First impressions

Unfortunately I can't go into specifics about the gadgets on the bike as I know nothing about bikes, however the bike is very light, the wheels very thing, resembles, to me anyway a road bike. No drop bars, but I was advised in store that is similar to the giant defy road bike which I also liked/considered.

Ride

Well what can I say, on a smooth road it feels great, gear changes are great, taking time to get used to it, researching on google advice on when to change gear etc, I haven't cycled in about 10 years, I'm 31 now.

On a cycle path, gravel path its very different ride. I feel everything :):( and I'm not sure if thats a good thing, its very light and I almost feel like I'm going to come off. I do however adore the excitement and the rush and have smashed out 50 miles already I know thats not alot but still :).

I'm feel great when I get home, the endorphin rush is great. I am also using strava to record my progress. I have a long ride planned for sunday which I am looking forward too.

one thing I will say is, although its very soon to be saying this, I kind of wish I may have bought a Road bike as its so smooth compared to going off road.

In all, a very happy cyclist newbie. Next step for me is to continue getting fitter, invest in some padded cycling shorts as my arse is killing me when I'm cycling, i am also considering popping in to check my riding position.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    NiceGuy85 wrote:
    one thing I will say is, although its very soon to be saying this, I kind of wish I may have bought a Road bike

Heh, I was in the same boat, bought a Boardman team hybrid to commute to work, got bitten by the bug and strava segments and 3 months later bought an s-works roubaix as a weekend roadie to compliment the workhorse