Gravel / Cyclocross Bike

rokt
rokt Posts: 493
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking a getting a Gravel / Cyclicross bike, but nothing too expensive. Something to ride the trails on with the kids and something good enough to turn out on for the local cyclocross mid week training evening.

I've never had this type of bike before so any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you don't race, you don't need a super light carbon one and if you are on a budget, you don't need full hydraulics either. There seems to be a healthy market of CX bikes under a grand... for some reason gravel bikes seem to be a bit pricier, probably they target a different slice of the market.
    Cannondale, Giant seem to be the best bang for buck with the obvious alternative of Planet X.

If you don't need disc brakes, you can get better value in the canti market
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Rokt wrote:
    I'm looking a getting a Gravel / Cyclicross bike, but nothing too expensive. Something to ride the trails on with the kids and something good enough to turn out on for the local cyclocross mid week training evening.

I've never had this type of bike before so any advice would be much appreciated.

With such a vague spec and without any indication of budget, the best you can do is get on the internet and do a search.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Shame you missed the discounts Ridley were offering earlier in the year ... I picked up an X-Ride 20 for £1k and it's an excellent bike ...

You might get lucky and find something similarly priced ... Worth a look if you do ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    A few places have the Cannondale CADX Tiagra for £600 at the moment. Unbeatable value at that price and more than enough for what you need.
  • rokt
    Yeah my post is a bit vague, max spend £1k.

I've seen a Cinelli Zydeco from Halfords for £1099 less 10% Birtish Cycling discount and an
    Orange RX9 for £700. I think I'd prefer aluminium over carbon just that I assume it will be
    a bit more durable, is my thinking right ?
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Just ordered a Raleigh RX Team 1x11 for less than half price
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Well within your £1K budget

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... -road-bike

Hydraulic discs
    1 x 11 speed SRAM Rival
    Mudguard mounts
    Rack mounts
    Space for 35c tyres and above probably

And if you do decide to consider a carbon framed option then for just a shade over your £1K budget this could fit the bill

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSRIV ... cross-bike
  • ugo.santalucia
    Rokt wrote:
    Yeah my post is a bit vague, max spend £1k.

I've seen a Cinelli Zydeco from Halfords for £1099 less 10% Birtish Cycling discount and an
    Orange RX9 for £700. I think I'd prefer aluminium over carbon just that I assume it will be
    a bit more durable, is my thinking right ?

Don't bother with the Zydeco... it's nearly 11 Kg, you can do a lot better for a grand
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Been more than happy with my Planet X XLS;great for the commute and gives the option of using rougher paths if needed.In fact used it last week with the better half on her mtb on a very off-road route and was fine with Hutchinson Sector 28's on(was dry mind);have a spare set of wheels with knobblies on for rougher/muddier surfaces.It also seems to be holding up fine after two years of abuse including falling off on a trail and being knocked about on trains.

Oh and as Ugo says mechanical discs are fine,no problems at all with the TRP Spyres.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Rokt wrote:

Get a cross race bike but one that takes bottle cages - there is a world of difference between a race oriented cross bike and a do it all style gravel bike with discs.

On discs my experience of non-hydros is they are crap but I accept this may not be everyone's experience.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • reme-luke
    reme-luke Posts: 122
    I just picked up a giant tcx slr 2 for £700. Good spec and they seem to be well thought of in reviews.
  • ugo.santalucia
    reme-luke wrote:
    I just picked up a giant tcx slr 2 for £700. Good spec and they seem to be well thought of in reviews.

this!
  • 47p2
    Mine arrived today, changed the saddle for one that my butt likes, fitted a bottle cage, changed the pedals and now waiting on the glue to dry before fitting the tubs and I'm ready to go

IMG_1097.jpg
  • rokt
    Thanks for all the advice, it's appreciated.

47p2, that looks very nice can I ask where you got it from.
  • 47p2
    Halford of all places. It was listed at a ridiculous less than half price so I thought it must be another of their website errors and ignored it, went back almost a week later and it was still the same price so I placed an order expecting it to be rejected. To my delight it was accepted and the order went through...Happy days