Upgrading 2013 Defy Callipers to 105

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello,

This is the bike I have as my commuter

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bi ... ifications

I want to upgrade the callipers to 105 - Will this be ok ?

Is there anything else I need to buy, cables, adjusters etc

Anybody know of any instructions\vids how to do it ?

Comments

• Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    I could be wrong but i am not sure they are compatable with the Tiagra STI Shifters
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Depending on the iteration of tiagra you have - assuming 4600 or 4700 then you can update to the latest Shimano 105 calipers. However if you have an older version of Tiagra - which works on a different pull ratio then you would have problems in terms of set up - older variations of shimano 105 (5600 version) would work fine.
    TBH - replacing your brake pads with swiss stops brake pads is a simpler and less expensive change which might achieve the desired improvement in braking for you.

Brake compatibility charts:

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/2. ... acid=C-456
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The 5800 105 brakes will work fine with those levers and will be a useful upgrade in terms of braking performance
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Have the same bike, upgraded the brakes to 6700 for £40 without issue.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Dowtcha wrote:
    Have the same bike, upgraded the brakes to 6700 for £40 without issue.

O/P Here, Ive done the upgrade and the braking power feels fine.

The only slight niggle is that I can't get the plastic cable to sit snuggly in the barrel adjuster. Even if I de tension the whole thing it doesn't go in ? - any ideas ?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If you have a metal or plastic ferrule fitted to the end of your outer cable, remove it the outer cable will then fit inside the cable tension adjuster.