Cervelo S2 105 vs BMC TMR02 105

marcne8707
marcne8707 Posts: 7
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Which bike is better for you?

I'm looking to buy one, what do you recommend?

Thanks

Marc

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I've ridden the S2, a very good bike and own a TMR01, which probably isn't a fair comparison.

The S2 handled and went OK. its fast, and its relatively uncomplicated. My TMR01 is extremely quick in a straight line, Handles well and brakes well as well. The power transfer on the TMR01 is amazing. The TMR02 uses normal brakes on the front which basically mean its more easily adjustable for wider wheels (I get brake rub on the front with Zipps for example on the 01). The rear brake to be fair is fit and forget. I’ve never had an issue with it but the carbon Layup on the 02 results in a heavier frame and a less stiff bottom bracket. The TMR01 is not a light frame, but climbs deceptively well. The S2 was a slightly better climbing frame, though was not as comfy.

The TMR01 is actually relatively comfortable for an aero roadbike. I expect the 02 would be similar.

Have you thought about any other brands. For similar money you could get an aeroad from Canyon, or the fuji Transonic which is an excellent bike.
  • Thanks a lot for your answer, I will check the other two bikes you suggested.

So, about the S2 and 02, if I understood well, you would go with the 02 first?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Depends on what you like. both would be quick but the next model up the series is slightly better.

if you want ease of use, the S2 would have fewer rear brake issues. the TMR02 looks amazing though (I'm biased!).
  • Gromson
    Gromson Posts: 100
    philbar72 wrote:
    The power transfer on the TMR01 is amazing. ...

...The TMR01 is actually relatively comfortable for an aero roadbike.

I absolutely agree. I get a lot more speed for less effort out of mine compared to my other bikes. The set-up measurements are identical to my Forme Thorpe Pro 2, and the gearing is comparable, but I just seem to go better on the BMC. (I'm hoping to marry the BMC bike in a small private ceremony so I can get to sleep with her on a regular basis!)

I was a bit anxious about using the TMR01 for the RideLondon this year based on the notion that it wasnt an endurance set-up, but I'm rather glad I did. Very comfortable over the full 100 miles and a respectable 04:34:03.

My mate has just got a Cervelo S2 and he is thrilled with his purchase, and is similarly experiencing a big uplift in performanace compared to his Giant Propel.

Buy whichever one you've clicked on more times on google.