will riser handlebar shorten my cockpit ?

razorjack
razorjack Posts: 95
edited August 2016 in MTB general
Hi
i have a 800mm handlebar now (with 19mm rise) and i feel my cockpit is quite low, i would like to rise it (i've put spacer under my stem already)
Will 800mm handlebar with 30-35mm rise shorten my cockpit also ? (does it bend a little towards a rider ?)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It will if the backsweep (affective, not just angle) is the same, but by a very small amount (circa 10mm at most).

Don't just compare backsweep angle you also need to compare when the backsweep starts (distance from stem) as one bar with a higher backsweep starting further from the centre will have less setback of the grips than a bar with a lower backsweep starting closer to the stem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • i think about shortening stem too (50mm to 40mm), but there is a problem now, with this new 35mm standard :/ (and i'm not sure if i need 40mm)
  • The Rookie
    What bike is it for, I wouldn't go to 35mm except on a full on DH bike, stick with 31.8mm.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giant Reign 2016, current handlebar Contact DH (800mm 19mm rise), all spacers under my stem (stack 577mm)
    but the problem is, all new 800mm handlebars are 35mm (it's not for DH, it's just to make them light - i know, bullshit :) )

ah, didn't mentioned that, but if i change my cockpit, i want a carbon stick :)
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    800 is a tad wide and may be why you feel the bar is too low as you'll be leant over more as your grip will be wider.
  • maybe i'll try to cut it down to 780mm. my previous bike had 785mm handlebar (for 2 years) and was fine.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Or just try holding bars narrower before you cut them
  • The Rookie
    As above, shift brake levers in and hold it narrower, then move the controls and grips in, if its what you want THEN cut the bars!

Or 800mm, 40mm rise, carbon and 31.8.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/easton-ec7 ... 47400.html
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Or 800mm, 40mm rise, carbon and 31.8.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/easton-ec7 ... 47400.html
    Width 685mm ? not too short ? :)
  • The Rookie
    Sorry, just serached again and it comes up with 800mm in the search summary so I didn't read the page!