Kask Protone questions

onyourright
onyourright Posts: 509
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
I was thinking of getting a quieter helmet (less wind noise) and was looking at the Kask Protone. I have some questions:
  1. Is it quiet then?
  2. Anything unusual about sizing or shape?
  3. Does the fiddly-looking fastening system last okay?
  4. Which colour?
  5. Where’s a good place to buy one at the moment?

Thanks!

Comments

• I was thinking of getting a quieter helmet (less wind noise) and was looking at the Kask Protone. I have some questions:
    1. Is it quiet then?
    4. Which colour?

Thanks!

1. No, obviously depends on speed/wind direction. Possibly a little quieter than the Vertigo 2.0 I replaced.
    2. Nothing unusual, measure your head then buy medium or large.
    3. Closure system is great, it is a little flimsy but so far it's worked perfectly. Does not clash with Oakleys.
    4. I have Black/Red, buy the one that matches bike/clothing.
    5. Bought mine at LBS, negotiated 10% off.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,138
    1. vs. a giro ionos or aeon, the protone is dramatically quieter, and unlike those giro models in strong crosswinds it hardly catches at all
    2. seems slightly wider than the above giro, but heads vary so there's no substitute for trying on
    3. been ok for a year, but the stick-on rubber bits on the rear cradle can come adrift
    4. as above
    5. look for offers, vouchers etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks, both. Are there any other helmets known to be quiet?
  • sungod
    bear in mind ear shape and glasses also affect noise level, what's quietest for one person may differ for another
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I was thinking of getting a quieter helmet (less wind noise) and was looking at the Kask Protone. I have some questions:
    1. Is it quiet then?
    4. Which colour?

Thanks!

1. Have not noticed any noise from it.
    2. Sizing is a bit odd. I also have a Mojito, same size and fits better/more comfortable.
    3. The locking system isn't fiddly and lasts fine.
    4. Surely that's a personal choice and I went for green and white to match kit (but please not Sky colours)
    5. Retailers are openly advertising on eBay with good prices. I bought mine on line and had no problems returning the first one due to an unsightly mark in the foam liner. The replacement was perfect.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Sizing is a little odd, I’m the middle end of medium for Specialized and Giro and these are the upper end of Medium

They are noisier than evades but quieter than other similar helmets ( the giro aero lid and definitely the Mojito).

The mechanism for keeping it on your head is a little flimsy.

With winter coming up I should have gone for Black!
  • craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    Got one about a month ago and it has been great so far. Thought i would miss the insect guard from my old helmet, but they must pass right through when cycling as so far nothing big has been caught.

Got mine from ShopTo which i found to be cheapest : http://www.shopto.net/cycling/top-brands/kask/store
    Great service from them too.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Re sizing, I tried a mojito and could not get on with it - ever so slightly small for my skull in size large, which have worked fine for me with three different models.

I tried the Protone and was pleasantly surprised - just slightly larger fit than the mojito for me (my problem was a pressure point across the forehead) and looks like a keeper. I like the fit of the giro but they defo look oversized to me.

Peter
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    As another option, I've recently got a MET rivale (2 months ago) and I'm very impressed with it. Light, comfortable and a good looker too (in my opinion). It's supposed to be very aero for a vented helmet too, if you believe the stats, so quiet with it. As with all helmets it often comes down to which one fits you....
  • I have a Lazer, the same one used by Madison Genesis..lovely helmet..cant even tell its on its so comfy..as for wind noise.. i think, like others have said, there are so many variables its hard to quantify if the helmet itself is less noisy or you are just out on a rare windless day!! I don't notice it if thats any help….
    Had a Kask before..good lids.. the worst one I had was a MET…so badly finished, it looked like a prototype!!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Seems quite a few track riders were using Protones in the Omnium the other night, which speaks highly of it's aero properties....I love mine!
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I love my Protone, it's quieter than my previous helmet (Prevail) which suggests a better aero profile but is still reasonably well ventilated and light. The only issue I've found is that the air scoop design seems to attract more insects into the helmet than the prevail which seemed better at just channeling them through.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Stueys wrote:
    I love my Protone, it's quieter than my previous helmet (Prevail) which suggests a better aero profile but is still reasonably well ventilated and light. The only issue I've found is that the air scoop design seems to attract more insects into the helmet than the prevail which seemed better at just channeling them through.
    I agree with the more insects bit, I seem to get bombarded by them whenever I go out in my Protone compared to my previous Specialized Evade. Also I have an issue with my Oakleys being a bit more of a faff (spelling) to get the fit right. The helmet itself is very comfortable fit and has masses of adjustment.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • sungod
    i've also noticed more insects coming in, but they seem to pass through without getting stuck

also, when climbing in hot weather with no breeze, the pad at the front tends to drip sweat right over the eyes, i peeled it off and refitted so that the middle was a bit higher than the sides, now it drains off to the sides
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    You could try Epic Cycles in Ludlow for a price - I got mine from there a lot cheaper than any advertised price is seen. I was buying a very expensive bike off them so not sure if I got an extra discount though