Suntour Raidon air fork serviceable?

Lungs94
Lungs94 Posts: 160
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a set of Suntour Raidon Air forks on my 13 Incline Alpha and I want to keep on-top of fork maintenance, but I haven't found any manuals or seal kits/oil on the web? are they serviceable? also there is some black marks on the stanchions when I cycle the stanchions but they seem to work fine I've used a bit of fork juice to try get dirt out of seals, but the black marks are still coming up.
Bikes:
2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic

Comments

• Lungs94
    Lungs94 wrote:
    I have a set of Suntour Raidon Air forks on my 13 Incline Alpha and I want to keep on-top of fork maintenance, but I haven't found any manuals or seal kits/oil on the web? are they serviceable? also there is some black marks on the stanchions when I cycle the stanchions but they seem to work fine I've used a bit of fork juice to try get dirt out of seals, but the black marks are still coming up. I know thats because the dirty oil/muck is getting past the seals

Edit: Can I use Fox 20wt gold oil for them? what would be the risks of doing that?
    Bikes:
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Looking at thier website, i'd try here: https://www.greyville.com/categories/218-forks-suspension_spares

There are documents here: http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/service/download-area/consumer-downloads/bike/

As they mostly supply the OEM market, you may need to contact a distributor for spares and advice, as not many retialers carry spare parts, that ive seen.

U N I T E D K I N G D O M & I R E L A N D
    https://www.greyville.com/categories/905-forks-suspension_spares_dust-seals
    GREYVILLE ENTERPRISES
    20 Europa way britannia enterprise park
    Lichfield, Staffs. WS14 9TZ
    TEL: +44 1543 251328
    FAX: +44 1543 256260
    E-MAIL: sales@greyville.com

MOORE LARGE & CO. LTD
    Derby DE24 9GL
    Sinfin lane
    Sinfin lane industrial estate
    TEL: +44 1332 274 252
    FAX: +44 1332 274 203
    E-MAIL: sales@moorelarge.co.uk
  • Lungs94
    mattyfez wrote:
    Looking at thier website, i'd try here: https://www.greyville.com/categories/218-forks-suspension_spares

There are documents here: http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/service/download-area/consumer-downloads/bike/

As they mostly supply the OEM market, you may need to contact a distributor for spares and advice, as not many retialers carry spare parts, that ive seen.

U N I T E D K I N G D O M & I R E L A N D
    https://www.greyville.com/categories/905-forks-suspension_spares_dust-seals
    GREYVILLE ENTERPRISES
    20 Europa way britannia enterprise park
    Lichfield, Staffs. WS14 9TZ
    TEL: +44 1543 251328
    FAX: +44 1543 256260
    E-MAIL: sales@greyville.com

MOORE LARGE & CO. LTD
    Derby DE24 9GL
    Sinfin lane
    Sinfin lane industrial estate
    TEL: +44 1332 274 252
    FAX: +44 1332 274 203
    E-MAIL: sales@moorelarge.co.uk

Thanks very helpful, what about the oil? what oil can I use? can I use 20wt gold fox oil?
    Bikes:
  • Lungs94
    Anyone? what oil can I use?
    Bikes:
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Lungs94 wrote:

What do you want the oil for? If it's for damping, well I'm not sure you can get in to the damper to service that part. If it's to put in the lower legs as a lube, then I think those forks just run grease as a lube. Basically you grease the bushings before installing the foam rings. Something like Stendec easy glide or Slick Honey are specifically formulated for suspension.

Have you tried calling the distributors or the shop where you bought them from? You could try TF Tuned but not sure if they work on Suntour or not.
  • Lungs94
    Horton wrote:
    Lungs94 wrote:

What do you want the oil for? If it's for damping, well I'm not sure you can get in to the damper to service that part. If it's to put in the lower legs as a lube, then I think those forks just run grease as a lube. Basically you grease the bushings before installing the foam rings. Something like Stendec easy glide or Slick Honey are specifically formulated for suspension.

Have you tried calling the distributors or the shop where you bought them from? You could try TF Tuned but not sure if they work on Suntour or not.

Just realized I've only used open bath forks and these aren't open bath they're cartidge, contacted lbs to see if they can order in a cartidge, but in the mean time does anyone know where I can buy a cartridge for a Raidon XC-LO air?
    Bikes:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why would you want to change the damping cartridge? Are your forks broken? It's not part of a service.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lungs94
    cooldad wrote:
    Why would you want to change the damping cartridge? Are your forks broken? It's not part of a service.

Spoke to SR Suntour customer service and they told me these forks don't use oil but a cartridge? I have black marks on stanchions when I cycle through, so if thats not oil or dirt then what is it? how do I service it?
    Bikes:
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Probably just old grease from the bushings, or old oil from the foam rings. The damper is irrelevant as that's a sealed unit inside the stanchion.

Whip the legs off, take the foam rings out, clean them and then soak them in some decent lube like the thick blue fox stuff, and then clean the inside of the lower legs thoroughly, check the bushings for wear whilst you're at it. If everything looks ok, regrease the bushings, then put the foam rings back in and bolt it back together...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^.

It'll just be gunk in the wipers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools