Dedicated Winter Bike

2»

Comments

• I got a GT Grade - No Rack mounts but slammed and the position is fine for winter riding got 30mm tubeless on it and mudguards. Getting on the Supersix was nice in April though. Just for the nippy feeling of it. I did still enjoy my winter miles though
  • What's the verdict on the "new" Kinesis 4S being set up for rim or disc? Is this just weird and you compromise either choice or genius?

With rim brakes:
    Any drawback to having adjustable bolt in bits to reduce the dropouts to 130mm?
    Mounting points for flat mount disc brakes aren't going to be overly attractive if you don't want them?
    Presumably the fork and frame have been beefed up slightly to cope with discs so maybe heavier than they need to be?

For discs:
    Have they missed an opportunity to optimise comfort by getting rid of or moving the rear arch (or is that needed there for guards)?

For both:
    Is the chainstay length at 420mm right for both options or ideally would you have slightly shorter for rim as you don't need to worry about chain angle (I suppose full guards dictate this a little?)?

Just seems a bit odd as how many people would go to the expense of kitting it out with a rim groupset and then replace with disc later on? The shifters, brakes and wheels make up the vast bulk of the equipment cost so you're going to make your mind up before building it up.

I get it from a Kinesis point of view as why tool up for and stock two frame versions with all the additional costs.

The reviews all say it's a great frame and I know countless fans of the older rim only model so probably not an issue.
  • Another kind of related question. Why is the Gran Fondo Ti disc frameset £250 more than the rim? Profiteering as it's trendy or recouping years of expensive R&D.....
  • I reckon I could bore more people with my Kinesis ramblings on a separate thread so will start one :lol:
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    One advantage of a winter bike is being able to use all the cast off kit from yours or other people's good bikes. Wheels, brakes, levers etc. You would lose the interchangeability if you buy a disc braked bike, plus winter bike is best being something used and a bit scruffy, unless you live in a place where Winter conditions are not severe.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    The optimo does have rack and mudguard mounts.

I bought a Ribble winter bike a few years ago, enjoyed riding it so much I sold the summer Cervelo R3.

It's still going strong and I love it!

EE2C8DBA-7ACE-4D82-9036-FE88A321DC91_zpshdftl4fr.jpg

Tell me that's not a Ribble Winter bike with Dura Ace on it??? :!: :!:

It's a good topic this. I bought a Defy a couple of winters ago to use as a winter bike with guards. Unfortunately the Giant guards are not up to scratch and the clearances are pretty tight - so much so that I am now about to put the RaceBlades on the Giant and use it for another winter (maybe two) - then move to a proper winter bike.

Really liking the Kinesis stuff, particularly the 4S non disc stuff....
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Campag Athena with a DA chainset?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Garry H wrote:
    Campag Athena with a DA chainset?

Yeah.

Originally had an Athena chainset but I had a DA one spare when I got a Quarq for my TT bike. Not least because the Athena was 53-39 and the DA one can have anything (currently 52/36)
    To be frank, I'm tempted to put full DA on it. The frame is fantastic!!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Ass saver on the super six and leave a towel at work.

• It's a good topic this. I bought a Defy a couple of winters ago to use as a winter bike with guards. Unfortunately the Giant guards are not up to scratch and the clearances are pretty tight - so much so that I am now about to put the RaceBlades on the Giant and use it for another winter (maybe two) - then move to a proper winter bike.

Really liking the Kinesis stuff, particularly the 4S non disc stuff....

Looking at the CAAD8 though at present, based upon the deals currently available, and seeing that there are mudguard mounts on it too. How easy or difficult would it be to fit full guards on one of these. There are provisions with the mount fixings, but are the clearances really tight?

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated. I'd intend to run 25mm tyres on it too - probably Conti 4Seasons or similar.

Thanks,
    D
  • arlowood wrote:
    Planet X London Road covers all of your criteria except for the aggressive race geometry.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... -road-bike

hydraulic discs
    mudguard mounts
    rack mounts
    clearance for at least 35c tyres

It's an alloy frame and the geometry is fairly relaxed but it is no slouch

That is simply an amazing price for that bike!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think the CAAD8 has guard mounts hidden inside the seat stays. Angry Bird who posted on page one of this thread is building one up as a winter bike.

I'm using the PDW guards on my kinesis which doesn't have dedicated mounts and they work great. Only downside is limitations on tyre size. I'm currently running 23s as my 25 Michelin pro race didn't fit
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Just got myself a Tifosi CK7 frameset and built it up with Ultegra 6600 (so much better than the newer, under the tape, groupsets). I am very impressed with the quality of the Tifosi, the headset is great, threads are all perfect and it has loads of clearance with long drop brakes and full fittings for guards and a rack, if needed. Handling is pretty racy although the geometry is slightly more upright than a Supersix, even in a smaller size and with a longer stem, but that could be sorted with longer reach bars than mine. Seems like a great winter bike to me, if you want full guards without clearance or rattle issues and don't want discs.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Rose pro dx is worth a look too.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    CAAD 8 definitely has mounts. My plan is SKS chromoplastics which I WILL make 25mm tyres fit. I can be very determined! Shouldn't be too much of a chore, 23mm have bags of room with them.
  • Angry Bird wrote:
    CAAD 8 definitely has mounts. My plan is SKS chromoplastics which I WILL make 25mm tyres fit. I can be very determined! Shouldn't be too much of a chore, 23mm have bags of room with them.

Any photos yet of this Angry Bird.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a CAAD 8 but would love to see pics of installed mudguards.

Cheers,
    D
  • If that is the Mark Goldsein from Dulwich then why not get a Bowman Pilgrims made up at Ratrace.

Serves all the needs above and you know need it on Pilgrims Way or indeed the discs on the way down to it from the top of the Downs. I wanted one but for reasons out of my control I went for a CAAD12, which is not a problem. Just like the idea of a Bowmans Pilgrim better.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Angry Bird wrote:

Any photos yet of this Angry Bird.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a CAAD 8 but would love to see pics of installed mudguards.

Cheers,
    D

Started fitting them yesterday evening and ran out of light, have a half day tomorrow so will finish them then and post some pics. So far I had to trim down the rear guard slightly where it comes down to the chain stays but thats it. Seems OK clearance so far with 25mm, similar to what I had with my PDWs and 23mm tyres.
  • daviegb
    daviegb Posts: 126
    I've just bought a Genesis Equilibrium Disc 20 - it would meet all your criteria. Also had the bonus of buying it in the sale, so was reduced from £1,549 to £1,099. I've attached a link below.

I've done just over 200 miles on it in the last week & although it's significantly heavier (as you'd expect) than carbon, it's a more forgiving ride. I've bought this specifically as a winter training bike (& commuter).

Good luck, whatever you choose to buy.

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/genesis-equi ... age-bottom
  • daviegb wrote:
    I've just bought a Genesis Equilibrium Disc 20 - it would meet all your criteria. Also had the bonus of buying it in the sale, so was reduced from £1,549 to £1,099. I've attached a link below.

I've done just over 200 miles on it in the last week & although it's significantly heavier (as you'd expect) than carbon, it's a more forgiving ride. I've bought this specifically as a winter training bike (& commuter).

Interested by these but is steel really that good and worth paying a premium? For less money (£850 v's £900) you can get a Dolomite 5 with proper hydraulics, full guards with 25c tyres and save 1.3kg.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    daviegb wrote:

Interested by these but is steel really that good and worth paying a premium? For less money (£850 v's £900) you can get a Dolomite 5 with proper hydraulics, full guards with 25c tyres and save 1.3kg.

Genesis is a bit more "premium" than Pinnacle these days, which possibly has something to do with it.

That particular Genesis is Reynolds 725 which is going to contribute to the price compared to lower grades of Reynolds or other proprietary grades (e.g., Genesis' Mjolnir they use for their cheaper frames) - and should show in the ride quality (they do get good reviews but I've not ridden one myself). The Pinnacle is standard 6061 alu.

The Dolomite does look very good though.
  • The Saracen Hack is anther option (courtesy of the review on the front page and a Google of this year's model reduced prices)
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I am thinking of getting a Boardman CX Team, just waitign for price to come back down again

Yes, it is only X1 on the front and may not be ideal for road, but it will a/ allow to commute, b/ have a go at cyclo cross, c/ have a bike I can go out riding with my son

Has SRAM Rival Hydraulic discs and provision for mudguards.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon