First Ever Bike Purchase - clueless/confused - 13 alpha?

Glenn23
Glenn23 Posts: 5
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I am buying a a bike for the first time ever. Ins after a road bike so I can use it on weekends and will generally use it to keep fit.

I will be getting the bike through cycle2work scheme. I've been into Halfords and see the 13 Intuition Alpha which is currently reduced from £1000

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -bike-2015

I literally don't know anything about bikes. I've read many reviews and tests on best first time bikes and I'm still no clearer. The 13 looks smart and seems well equipped. Has anyone got one of these bikes or have any experience of them. Can anyone recommend anything different?

I've also looked at a B'Twin Triban 540. Is this as good a bike as the 13 Alpha or better. Is the 13 alpha a good deal now it's been reduced or was it too expensive in the first place.

Thanks on advance, sorry for being completely clueless.

Glenn

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Glenn23 wrote:
    Hello,

I am buying a a bike for the first time ever. Ins after a road bike so I can use it on weekends and will generally use it to keep fit.

I will be getting the bike through cycle2work scheme. I've been into Halfords and see the 13 Intuition Alpha which is currently reduced from £1000

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -bike-2015

I literally don't know anything about bikes. I've read many reviews and tests on best first time bikes and I'm still no clearer. The 13 looks smart and seems well equipped. Has anyone got one of these bikes or have any experience of them. Can anyone recommend anything different?

I've also looked at a B'Twin Triban 540. Is this as good a bike as the 13 Alpha or better. Is the 13 alpha a good deal now it's been reduced or was it too expensive in the first place.

Thanks on advance, sorry for being completely clueless.

Glenn

The Btwin are regarded as good bikes for the money, however can you use your voucher at Decathlon? Don't forget to factor in for kit:

Pedals, shoes, helmet, pump, good bib shorts, jersey, rain jacket etc.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    At that price the Halfords bike is extremely good value - assuming it fits you OK. You won't get much better at anywhere near that price.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    At that price the Halfords bike is extremely good value - assuming it fits you OK. You won't get much better at anywhere near that price.

It seems good value but the Halfords bike is tiagra, with wheels of unknown quality, the Btwin 540 has mostly 105 groupset with Mavic Aksium wheels. If you can use your C2W there that would be my choice.
  • Glenn23
    Hello. Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not sure they my C2W will allow me to use it at Decathalon so might have to rule that out.

Is there any other bikes that would be excellent first rides. I am tempered by the 13 bike but would his be suitable for a first timer.

Thanks
    Glenn
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited August 2016
    Glenn23 wrote:
    Hello. Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not sure they my C2W will allow me to use it at Decathalon so might have to rule that out.

Is there any other bikes that would be excellent first rides. I am tempered by the 13 bike but would his be suitable for a first timer.

Thanks
    Glenn
    Have a look on Wiggle, they had a sale on their own brand bikes (Verenti) and there were so good deals I recall. It's not a Halfords only scheme?

Sure the 13 bike will be fine, it's last years Tiagra but nothing wrong with that, I'd be tempted to look around but bear in mind some retailers won't give discount on C2W bikes as they have pay a commission to the scheme administrator.
  • Glenn23
    Yeah it's not exclusive to halfords, there is a couple of exceptions where it can be used but not Decathalon unfortunately.
  • For example

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-tiagra-2016/

This has had excellent reviews, has the latest Tiagra and Shimano RS10 wheels, better spec than the 13 I'd say.
  • svetty
    For example

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-tiagra-2016/

This has had excellent reviews, has the latest Tiagra and Shimano RS10 wheels, better spec than the 13 I'd say.

It depends how much weight you apply to the argument that a full carbon frame isn't automatically better than a well designed alloy frame. Generally it is easier to upgrade components later than the frame and there is no clear reason to think that the alloy one is the better bike. Hence all things being equal I'd get the carbon one...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    There's also the issue with buying your first bike online.

You may end up with the wrong size.

you won't get any hands on support with any niggles/problems that may develop.

For me I'd go to a few local bike shops, get a feel fr who you like and do c2w, and go with them.
    Try as many bikes as you can.
    I'd look to spend about 5-600 on the bike and get some good bibshorts, tool kit and spare tubes.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Glenn23
    So is the 13 bike a decent buy? I popped into wheelbase today and tried a Specialized Allez which seemed nice but not sure if this is better than the 13 which was originally £1000.

I've also looked at Giants and boardmans so many to pick With some many different views and opinions on each.
  • svetty
    Glenn23 wrote:
    So is the 13 bike a decent buy? I popped into wheelbase today and tried a Specialized Allez which seemed nice but not sure if this is better than the 13 which was originally £1000.

I've also looked at Giants and boardmans so many to pick With some many different views and opinions on each.

Yes is an excellent buy at the discounted price - assuming it fits you
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    I've had a BTwin 540 for a year. Great bike; so good I'm having trouble upgrading to a carbon steed because its just not worth the £1200 or so I'm looking to spend (heart over head may still win). 9.5 kg, carbon forks, Mavic Aksium wheels and a great 105 system

Look in the back of this months Cycling World (?) magazine, where they've tweaked a 540 with different saddle, tyres and other bits and remark 'its as good as any £1000 bike.'
    Agree: I've already replaced the @rse-hatchet of a saddle and the skiddy Hutchison tyres
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    NapoleonD wrote:
    There's also the issue with buying your first bike online.

You may end up with the wrong size.

you won't get any hands on support with any niggles/problems that may develop.

For me I'd go to a few local bike shops, get a feel fr who you like and do c2w, and go with them.
    Try as many bikes as you can.
    I'd look to spend about 5-600 on the bike and get some good bibshorts, tool kit and spare tubes.

This. Very much this. A good relationship with a bike shop is a valuable thing to have when you're starting out, even if you miss the online bargains.

And decent cycling clothes are way more important than arcane details of bike spec, for actually enjoying your rides. I wish I'd learned that long ago, but instead spent years spending any cash I could get on flash components and then riding the fancy bike uncomfortably in rubbish clothes: worn-out jerseys, nothing waterproof, nothing breathable, useless shorts inserts: it's miserable. You don't care about whether your front mech is 105 or Tiagra when you've got saddlesores and you're freezing but sweaty and you can't feel your feet. Learn from our mistakes!