"Pinging" rear spokes

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Had myself a puncture about 3 rides ago and wheels were fine with no issues however since taking the rear tyre off and replacing I get spoke pinging occasionally when pedalling hard.

No other obvious reasons but it is a bit worrying...

Wheels are Ksyrium SLS..

Any ideas ?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Sounds stupid, but pinch the spokes together where they cross. It frees them and stops the pinging. It can also help to dap a tiny spec of grease between them. The pinging is just the spokes moving against each other. (If you have a lacing pattern with spokes crossing?)
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The pinging is sometimes a result of the spokes tensioning and detensioning as you apply torque to the wheel. Sometimes denotes undertensioned spokes - usually NDS. Have you inflated the tyre to the correct pressure - some rims do de-tension when the tyres are underinflated although this is commoner with tubeless....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Svetty wrote:
    The pinging is sometimes a result of the spokes tensioning and detensioning as you apply torque to the wheel. Sometimes denotes undertensioned spokes - usually NDS. Have you inflated the tyre to the correct pressure - some rims do de-tension when the tyres are underinflated although this is commoner with tubeless....

FIrst part is correct, second isn't... it's pressure that lowers the spokes tension.

Low tension is typically the reason for spokes rubbing and making noise
    left the forum March 2023
  • venster
    Hi.

My spokes don't touch on these wheels. Normal tyre pressures...nothing has changed other than I punctured and had to remove tyre to fix it...
  • ugo.santalucia
    venster wrote:
    Hi.

My spokes don't touch on these wheels. .

They do if they flex, which happens if the tension is a bit on the low side. With those wheels tension is a guess as there isn't a gauge calibrated for those spokes... only Mavic have them
  • venster
    venster wrote:
    Hi.

They do if they flex, which happens if the tension is a bit on the low side. With those wheels tension is a guess as there isn't a gauge calibrated for those spokes... only Mavic have them

OK....so what can I do about it, other than get them checked by Mavic?

I've checked and there's not any noticeable flex or difference to the tension of the spokes when I "squeeze" them..
  • ugo.santalucia
    venster wrote:
    venster wrote:
    Hi.

OK....so what can I do about it, other than get them checked by Mavic?

I've checked and there's not any noticeable flex or difference to the tension of the spokes when I "squeeze" them..

It might be that your local Mavic dealer can help. Loss of tension is quite common and if they have a reference mesurement with other sets on a basic tension gauge, they can diagnose it fairly easily
  • venster
    How inconvenient if they have to go back to Mavic. Seems a bit OTT, especially if this *can* happen every time you get a puncture or replace a tyre ...
  • ugo.santalucia
    venster wrote:
    How inconvenient if they have to go back to Mavic. Seems a bit OTT, especially if this *can* happen every time you get a puncture or replace a tyre ...

They don't have to go back to Mavic, just your local Mavic dealer... call it LBS if you prefer

The puncture is probably a coincidence
  • mh13
    mh13 Posts: 81
    I have the same wheels and had the same issue. As the above have said, its the spokes - put a bit of chain oil where they touch (they do touch) and should be fine. Don't think the puncture has anything to do with it
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I have the same wheels and get pinging when climbing out of the saddle.

I just ignore it. Wheels have done 22,000km and are still going strong.

Just remember to maintain the freehub a couple of times a year to avoid the death squeal.
  • venster
    It's just strange it's not done it before. My spokes don't touch any where but are very close..I suppose they might touch if they flex so I've put some oil where they might touch and see what happens.

And it's good to know they're good for 22km.. :)
  • robbo2011
    put a dab of oil where the spokes meet the hubs I have a feeling the noise comes from there.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Adding oil cures the symptoms but not the problem. The spokes should not rub and if they do so for lack of tension, it's only a matter of time before one snaps... best to get the tension checked
  • venster
    robbo2011 wrote:
    put a dab of oil where the spokes meet the hubs I have a feeling the noise comes from there.

That would make more sense...

I'm going to try them out later..
  • venster
    robbo2011 wrote:

I did and there was no noise today.. :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    venster wrote:
    robbo2011 wrote:

bear in mind you have not solved the problem, you have only masked the symptoms
  • robbo2011
    the trouble is, can you trust the guy in the bike shop not to overtension so the OP does not end up with this:

rim-crack-ksyrium-one.jpg?w=630

If it ain't broke don't fix it in my book.
  • venster
    venster wrote:
    robbo2011 wrote:

bear in mind you have not solved the problem, you have only masked the symptoms

Thought I'd report back...

Had my bike serviced today and the wheels checked over. Apparently the drive side spokes were a little loose and needed tightening up...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    robbo2011 wrote:
    the trouble is, can you trust the guy in the bike shop not to overtension so the OP does not end up with this:

This is why you would no doubt take them to a Mavic dealer. 1. They are more likely to know how to re tension the spokes. 2. If they did damage them - they broke em, they replace em.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    bad advise if it not broke dont fix it. The rims are light and the crack you have got does not mean the rim was overtensioned. Mavic rims can crack when they have never been touched (this is not a mavic only issue). That is simply fatigue. The fact that it happened after a true is mearly conidence. Fatigue starts from the day you started riding them.

Get the wheels checked but also if they are running true then there may not be an issue to fix as spoke normally dont loose tension uniformly by themselves.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    robbo2011 wrote:

I've found that lots of people like to "fix it until it's broke".
    That's quite a crack.