First time at Cannock - Video inside

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited August 2016 in MTB beginners
Hello All,

as some may know im fairly new to this Forum. Ive got myself a Voodoo Hoodoo to help with some serious weight loss.

So far ive been around Draycote water which is tarmac but Ive really wanted to try Cannock, so on saturday myself, my little brother and a friend decided to head over and give it a go. I was a bit apprehensive about going as my fitness is non existent and the last time ive been anywhere near a dirt track was when i was a kid. Also my little brother is a fitness freak and my mate does bmx, downhill and trials which hes competed in but they were great and patient.

Anyway i got off to a bad start as i had a puncture first thing before i even put the bike on the rack, grrr must have been from my ride the day before.

Got to cannock and its a great place, i was shocked of how busy it was. After a few tweaks and setting up my new kitvision action cam we set off on follow the dog.

It was amazing, stupidly hard going and that huge long hill absolutely did me in, i managed a quarter way up and had to give in and walk the rest. The bike was great and handled really well i think i let it down really with my lack of skill but as time went on i certainly got more confident.

Anyway Ive put together a cheesy video which is a bit long sorry.

Enjoy and thanks to everyones help and advice up to this point.

https://youtu.be/phtm2wB-46I

Comments

• I love Cannock, haven't been in while though even though i'm only in Wolverhampton...

Where about are you from? There's a pretty good (but fairly small) track in Bridgnorth, but it's good if you have an hour to spare here and there. I used to nip in for a few laps on my way home from work, the most I've ever seen is 2 other people on the track, usually nobody at all.

I was a bit daunted by how busy Cannock was on my first time around, and like you it took me a while to be able to make it up the first hill in one go.

I need to get back at it as last time I went to Cannock was just after xmas and I hadn't ridden at all in a few months. I was still planning to do both Follow the Dog and the Monkey trail like I used to, but I underestimated how unfit I actually was, I literally had to stop to be sick at one point... It didn't help I was there with my ultra-fit mate and trying to keep up with him.

Saw your video though, I recognise every bit :)

Good luck!
  • Thanks for sharing this Daniel, I'm motivated by your story so far. It didn't seem like you struggled with any of the technical stuff, and it appeared like you kept pace with your group fairly well?
  • I live in Leamington spa so Cannock is a little bit of a trek but worth it. I'll check out bridgenorth at some point.

I think the video certainly makes me look better than I am also it is sped up a bit. My mate in red went around again and did it in 40 mins which I thought wasn't bad especially as he had already been around :).

Plan next time is to take 10 mins off the time
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Dont beat yourself up too much about getting nailed by the climb. You can push yourself so far that the whole thing becomes agony, youre not enjoying yourself and in the long run thats counter-productive. I also think its kinda dangerous to over exert yourself on a climb as youre exhausted when you reach the top and if you start the descent without a good 10 minute rest and refuel, youre asking for trouble, and may well get some.
    I make a very basic drink 600ml fruit juice, 400ml water and a few big pinches of salt. The fructose provides energy and the salt replaces lost electrolytes which help fight cramps and fatigue. Its much cheaper than so-called sport drinks and i definitely noticed an improvement in my stamina when i started drinking it.
    Youre doing great, keep us posted!
  • Thanks for the info nelius ill certainly give that drink a try as cramp has been a bit of an issue, not just in my calf which is normal but also top of my legs.

Im not to fussed on time, its more of a tracker to monitor my fitness as if im quicker i know its to do with my fitness and skill improving.

i didnt think ill be going back so soon but im going again on saturday, cant wait :)

thanks for all the kind words also, its really encouraging.

dan
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Glad you enjoyed it, I love both Cardiac and Kitbag, but then I enjoy climbing (my ride colleagues sometimes find this a little annoying.....).

Maybe see you on one of the RLS-CC rides soon? You'll love the 'Badger run' down to the canal at Hatton locks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Glad you enjoyed it, I love both Cardiac and Kitbag, but then I enjoy climbing (my ride colleagues sometimes find this a little annoying.....).

Maybe see you on one of the RLS-CC rides soon? You'll love the 'Badger run' down to the canal at Hatton locks.

ive joined the group and im watching and waiting until i feel confident enough to join a group ride but hoping it wont be to long :)