Q: pedalling while off the saddle

core00
core00 Posts: 169
edited August 2016 in MTB beginners
Just wondering why I feel like when I pedal while I'm off the saddle I feel like I'm almost on the floor and like its hard to pedal because of that. I'm not sure if its just me being fatigue or something else, not sure if anyone else had this before.

But if anyone had it can you explain this :/

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What does almost on the floor mean?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • core00
    cooldad wrote:
    What does almost on the floor mean?

Like my pedals is going to hit the ground :shock:
  • cooldad
    Surely they are in exactly the same place standing or seated?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • core00
    cooldad wrote:

Yeah I meant just feel strange when I pedal while standing it feels like the pedal is going to hit the ground, maybe just my legs being so tired. But hope its not because bike is big on me or anything otherwise that sucks >.< haha.

I'm on Bizango 16" smallest frame and I'm 5'7/8.
  • core00 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Yeah I meant just feel strange when I pedal while standing it feels like the pedal is going to hit the ground, maybe just my legs being so tired. But hope its not because bike is big on me or anything otherwise that sucks >.< haha.

I'm on Bizango 16" smallest frame and I'm 5'7/8.

I think what cooldad is saying is that it doesn't matter how tall or short you are. Your 5/7 I'm almost 6ft but the distance from the peddles to the floor will be he same.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Trust us. Your pedals aren't going anywhere. It just feels a bit odd to begin with.
  • Unless you are using a FSR where the rear shock isn't set up correctly?

First time I bought a (used) FSR frame I didn't have a shock pump so I took it outside my house for a test run without setting it up. When sat on the seat with my weight spread out over the seat/frame/etc so it seems ok-ish then, but when I stood on the pedals and put my full weight on them they were literally scraping the ground.
  • cooldad
    AFAIK is a Bizango so HT.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only difference when out the saddle is you'll be rocking the bike as well, so the pedal tip will be slightly closer to the ground at the bottom of the stroke, upto 10mm is possible I guess, versus circa 125mm static (based on a nominal 300mm BB height and 175mm crank).

Other than that I think it's all in the OP's mind!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.