E.13 Crankset wobble

Lungs94
Lungs94 Posts: 160
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Okay so I took the cranks apart to service the bearings on my E.13 XC BSA bottom bracket and all went well untill I put the cranks back on and there was an obvious wobble? so I took it apart and used the APS to tighten the crankset, but it comes loose when riding over rough terrain, I can tighten it and ride again but keep having to tighten the APS, it's really bugging me! I've serviced the bearings every 4 months without issue why has this happened now?, it seems the APS won't stay in place and undo's itself while riding, is there a fix for this or time for a new crankset? theres about 1-2mm play is it safe to ride like that? what damage could it do? I've tried everything apart from replacing crankset/BB, it's not the Bottom bracket because I've taken it out and completely serviced it and everything was fine, it's the APS not locking in place, I've tried tightening the crank arm without using the APS but it still wobbles. also when I tighten it to the point where it doesn't wobble on the stand the crank are slightly stiff to rotate (yes I used correct torque)

Any advice? don't say take it to LBS because they'll just do everything I've done but charge me for it.
Bikes:
2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you lost the small lock washer for the APS adjuster or has it bent (the little tag part) so it's not working?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=acqWQo4Wf1I
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lungs94
    Lungs94 Posts: 160
    No I still have the silver washer type thing nothing wrong with it, I've tightened it and locked the APS, I bounce the bike spin the pedals bunny hops, no IMPACT seems to dislodge it? it's only when I pedal in the direction it is tightened (Kinda like it's unwinding itself when I pedal), is it safe? it's very small amount of play I'm sure the cranks will not fall off because the crank bolt is tightened to max torque it's only the APS coming loose, I do NOT notice the play while riding, would it be ok to continue as it is? Ill have a tinker with the washer and see if putting it on the other way will fix the problem.

Ok I've tried turning the washer-lock thing over I've tried tightening the APS both ways and ofcourse it's tight but it won't stay tight once I ride it. when I don't use the APS to tighten it there will be a visable gap (0.5cm) and it does feel slightly wobbly, this has never happened before. This is actually my first time using the APS to tighten it I've never needed to before, whats the problem with it? also, the "little tag" on the washer is not connecting to the APS, I've also noticed the washer and APS adjuster is very loose on the crank like before it I had to pull it off, but now it just falls off the crank arm when I remove it.
    Bikes:
    2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
    Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Without the preload the axle will move in the bearings and likely wear them faster.

You could try a GPX style wavy washer as shown as NOT being needed in the YouTube video, or find the issue you clearly have with the APS and fix it, either the washer or the adjuster itself
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.